What's new

weird clutch pedal

Lacozcorby

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-DTEC
hi guys,

just wondering if any of you experienced this kind of a problem with your accord....

clutch doesnt slip and everything works fine, every time when i boot the car and go full throttle for 2 or 3 gears (any gears) the clutch pedal sometimes goes much harder to press for 1-2 presses or goes very easy to press(much easier as normal) for 1-2 presses....but it only happens when i give it some beans, otherwise no problem whatsoever.....is it an indication that something its on its way ? or is it something what these cars do(which would be strange) :)

thanks

No this is not normal at all. Sounds like an issue with one or both cylinders (slave and master). Why it's doing it in full throttle though I've no idea

thats the strange thing to me as well....when i drive normally, i have no problems at all....maybe a sign that one or both cylinders will go soon, are they expensive to source and fit ??? anybody who had this done before ??

Hi,

Could be a number of issues here, as it seems under full load, i would start with following in this order;

• flush out fluid dont this under gravity you need a vaccum pump to do this properly make sure resevoir is never empy or air will get back in, you need to flush from slave cylinder and then push in slave cylinder to bleed and ensure there is no air in new brake / clutch fluid
  • clean master cylinder and hose to slave cylinder inspect for leaks
  • replace master cylinder
  • replace slave cylinder

As said start with bleeding the clutch. Though vacuum or reverse bleeding is the best it's not necessary if you don't have the equipment. Two man method works fine and the clutch doesn't take long at all.

Lacozcorby said:
thats the strange thing to me as well....when i drive normally, i have no problems at all....maybe a sign that one or both cylinders will go soon, are they expensive to source and fit ??? anybody who had this done before ??

Had this very recently and possibly still do to some extent!
Slave cylinder simple to fit, master cylinder not so due to having to be a contortionist. Bleeding is a nightmare and I probably flushed a gallon of fluid through. I found tilting the car over one way helped a lot. Check the pedal adjustment too.

Stratos said:
Slave cylinder simple to fit, master cylinder not so due to having to be a contortionist. Bleeding is a nightmare and I probably flushed a gallon of fluid through. I found tilting the car over one way helped a lot. Check the pedal adjustment too.
That's the reason why i said that you need to use vacuum pump and if you do bleed old way then the slave cylinder needs to below master cylinder so all air can come out.

Stratos said:
This is why i suggested that a vacuum bleeder is used, if you must bleed manual style then you must ensure slave cylinder is below master cylinder also the bleed nipple will only bleed master to bleed slave you have to push slave piston and bleed and it gets complicated and messy if not done correctly then problems occur so buy one of these for under £15 and your life will be easier.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Held-Brake-Bleeder-Tester-Set-Bleed-Kit-Vacuum-Pump-Car-Motorbike-Bleeding-/201025017182?hash=item2ece06555e:g:roEAAOxydlFSuVvP

Also see this http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/12324-clutch-and-gear-change-problams/page-2
post 24 and 25

Don't know if it's at all related but on classic Mini's the rubber hydraulic hoses between master and slave clutch cylinders can start to break up inside with age and hence cause all sorts of strange pedal feel.

Therefore if you are going to change the slave cylinder then will almost certainly be worth changing the rubber hose at the same time.

on honda there is a steel pipe with o rings to seal, like the piping used for fridge / freezer compressor.

The steel pipe is flexible and can be moved around.