What's new

weird electrical glitch on Cl9 2.4 estate

Nathjkent

Reaction score
Car
Cl9 type S estate
had the oddest thing happen the other day
driving down an A road and the radio head unit flickered for maybe half a second and the audio cut for the same time.
then about 40 mins later it happened again, then a short time after the engine cut out when pulling up to a junction, it restarted right away but did it again a few mins later,
i was close to home by this point, when sat on the driveway the headlights dimmed and the engine nearly stalled as soon as the cooling fan cut in.
this led me to believe it was an electrical supply issue, as it was night time and cold, i had the heater, AC, radio and the lights on, i checked the battery connections, all fine.
took it to work the next day and did a charge check. with loads off it was at 13.5 volts, with loads on it was at 13.70v so about where it should be.
i decided to chuck a new alternator on anyway and also cleaned the earth strap connection.
haven't had a chance to road test it yet but hopefully its sorted, has anyone had this happen before?
my reasoning is that perhaps the voltage regulator in the old alternator was faulty and dropping out intermittently as it only happened when everything electrical was switched on.