What's new

Weird idle

elvenkind

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0 es 1999
Greetings

I got myself a 1999 accord 2.0 ES.

Im wondering if its normal that the car seemingly has 2 states that alternate while its idling. At first its normal for some time, maybe around 15 seconds. Then the sound of the engine changes and it shakes a bit. That continues for around 15 seconds then it switches back to normal.

It has never stalled and it drives just fine. Its only sometimes a bit annoying while waiting at red lights due to the minor shake.

Does your accords do the same? If its not normal what would possibly be wrong in it?

One of the lambdas was recently changed. This "problem" was happening before that and still persists. :)

Thanks!

Does not sound normal but there could be a logical explanation. Do you hear the radiator fan kick in when this happens?

I had something similar, Long story short, Prior to having my precat sensor changed i was getting idling issues, It was also a bit jerky as well in the lower gears.

Any Engine lights ?
Check your oil level and Coolant

Hello, thanks for the replies.

I went today and popped the hood up while idling, seems like the engine doesn't shake anymore as the faulty lambda was replaced.

The change in the noise is still there but as TypeR thought, that is exactly the radiator fans kicking in. :)
So it's normal for the radiator fans to make easily audible noise?

elvenkind said:
Hello, thanks for the replies.

I went today and popped the hood up while idling, seems like the engine doesn't shake anymore as the faulty lambda was replaced.

The change in the noise is still there but as TypeR thought, that is exactly the radiator fans kicking in. :)
So it's normal for the radiator fans to make easily audible noise?
The radiator fan does put a little load on the engine but not a great deal. It could be that you have a weak alternator.

Check the voltage drop when the fan kicks in from the battery using a multimeter. Also check it generally when the car is running, it should be around 13.5v on average with no load