What's new

Well I was hoping for a bit more than this.....

Well second tankful was 29mpg - that was Sainsbury's petrol - now filled up with Esso - wonder if that'll make a difference.

I never realised that different petrols could make such a difference - I thought 95 RON was 95 RON regardless of where you bought it

Well it's just something that I I've found over the years, perhaps other people have found different, but I work my fuel economy out every time I fill any of my cars and that is pretty much the story for me.

Anyway, here's hoping that you crack the 30 mpg barrier! ;)

Gloucester and back today - 50.3MPG according to the OBC - so I'll drop it to 46 or so for reality. A roads there with normal/spirited driving. A roads for 1/3 the way back then clear Motorways the rest of way with CC on 72MPH. 45MPG after the first leg.

Well it's just something that I I've found over the years, perhaps other people have found different, but I work my fuel economy out every time I fill any of my cars and that is pretty much the story for me.

Anyway, here's hoping that you crack the 30 mpg barrier! ;)
Do you have different MPG figures depending on which fuel you use?

Any info you could share? i.e. which gives the best MPG, which posh fuels make no difference etc.

cheers - phil

running a remapped 2.4 and im still managing 35+ mpg doing 400miles a week (75% motorway/dual carriageway A roads) any who i was running mainly on TESCO 99 RON or Shell V Power depending on which was cheaper or which had a discount from its ***ociated supermarket. and used to average 37mpg driving normally (ie abiding by and cruising at speed limits
but with some occasional fun)

Any way since both of those climbed above the 130p/l mark i decided to try Shell FSave or Bp 95 Ron, to see if there was any difference however, its not really a direct comparison as i have been driving rather slower ie cruising at 60 on the
main roads though i still end up occasionally sprinting (up to the speed limit) bettween round abouts in MK

3 tanks of Shell F save 36 mpg avg (best 37.6/worst 36.2)
2 tanks BP 95 RON (on my third tank now) so far around 35mpg avg

So far im finding there is little difference between the higher octane and the 95 RON stuff despite driving like a grandad most of the time on the 95 RON. i think i will switch back to the Higher Octane after this tank and see if driving like a grandad on that jungle juice is any better.

running a remapped 2.4 and im still managing 35+ mpg doing 400miles a week (75% motorway/dual carriageway A roads) any who i was running mainly on TESCO 99 RON or Shell V Power depending on which was cheaper or which had a discount from its ***ociated supermarket. and used to average 37mpg driving normally (ie abiding by and cruising at speed limits
but with some occasional fun)

Any way since both of those climbed above the 130p/l mark i decided to try Shell FSave or Bp 95 Ron, to see if there was any difference however, its not really a direct comparison as i have been driving rather slower ie cruising at 60 on the
main roads though i still end up occasionally sprinting (up to the speed limit) bettween round abouts in MK

3 tanks of Shell F save 36 mpg avg (best 37.6/worst 36.2)
2 tanks BP 95 RON (on my third tank now) so far around 35mpg avg

So far im finding there is little difference between the higher octane and the 95 RON stuff despite driving like a grandad most of the time on the 95 RON. i think i will switch back to the Higher Octane after this tank and see if driving like a grandad on that jungle juice is any better.
Thanks for all that - what is this remapping you speak of? I thought it was only possible to remap the diesels.

What are the remapping options for the 2.0 petrol? I deliberately went for the 2 litre because I thought it would be more economical! at this rate I'd be better off with the 2.4!!

How much does remapping cost?

cheers - phil

check my sig theres a link to the guy that did it , they do a remap for the 2ltr and im sure some one on here got it done (cannot remember who) im not sure they were that impressed, im also not sure they had upgraded things like Intake header and exhaust (IHE).

The remap on the 2.4 is IMHO a great subtle improvement on the engine characteristics and im lovin it, vtec engagement is lowered which is the important bit, and redline extended to 7800rpm B) and the timings are advanced to create more torque.