What's new

Well I was hoping for a bit more than this.....

phil the greek

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 accord tourer
First tankful despatched at a very unimpressive 27mpg.

2.0 litre i v-tec manual shift should do more than this. We live in a rural area and I have been driving it fairly quickly at times and enjoying the upper reaches of the rev band, but I'm not mechanically unsympathetic, I don't rev a cold engine, and I generally keep things below 3000 revs. SWMBO has also been driving it and she drives like a district nurse, so it's not been ragged to the edge of its miserable existence.

Would my silly wide tyres be driving this down at all? remember I have TVR 16" alloys with 225 section Pirelli P7s all round.

I keep the climate control on auto all the time which I've always done with my cars. Not driving with windows down or sunroof open.

I had an Audi A6 15 years ago which was a 115bhp 2 litre petrol with climate control, and that did 30mpg - that was a company car and I wasn't paying for the fuel, so I did drive enthusiastically. And it weighs about 200kg more than the Accord and it's a stone age engine.

So what gives Mr Honda and all your V-tec wizardry?? :blush:

EDIT: I must admit for most of the 1st tankful, the tyres were all about 10psi under-inflated, but that wouldn't make this much difference would it?

Phil have you been spending time on UKS? It's just the SWMBO'd reference. Can;t help you on the MPG side of things as I'm running on LPG so haven't used a full tank of petrol. On LPG I'm getting about 24-26mpg.

Phil have you been spending time on UKS? It's just the SWMBO'd reference. Can;t help you on the MPG side of things as I'm running on LPG so haven't used a full tank of petrol. On LPG I'm getting about 24-26mpg.
wot's UKS?

weather.

Its cold right now...cold air is more dense and therefore carries more oxygen, which the ECU collaborates with more fuel.

Its also high pressure right now 1040mb..... which for N/a cars is actually noticable this has an extra addition to the densiy of the air....ECU adds more fuel.

wrong time of year to be testing mpg

10psi down, what are you doing, transporting crockery and sheet glass? why so soft?

10PSI? Dude that makes a huge difference to MPG! Can you not feel the difference in handling?

10PSI? Dude that makes a huge difference to MPG! Can you not feel the difference in handling?
Well in my defence the car was like that from the used car dealer - so much for his 65 point "safety check" - so I didn't know any different.

It was only when I noticed one tyre seemed a bit low that I decided to check it and press the wonderful little air compressor into service.

Anyway - fronts now 35psi and rears 33psi - that's what it says for the 195/65 R15s which SHOULD be on the car, so I'm ***uming it's gonna be pretty close for the outsize Pirellis.

The clutch/gearbox feels absolutely fine - no slipping or grinding or anything. Last service in October about 3000 miles ago - I have checked the oil and it's fine.

Let's see what the next tank does.......

btw - what's the tank capacity and how many miles would I get once the petrol guage light comes on?

I've with Dan on this, 10psi wow, yeah that WILL make a difference. Agree with all the other comments too, combined it won't help. See what your next tank does....
Good luck

I know you said it was serviced 3000 miles ago, but maybe it's me, but I'd check the state of the air filter......

I agree with all the others running with 1/2 flat tyres and the wrong time of year to test MPG your car is on excess fuel (choke in the old days) for longer while warming up.

is your car really stretched?

Well in my defence the car was like that from the used car dealer - so much for his 65 point "safety check" - so I didn't know any different.

It was only when I noticed one tyre seemed a bit low that I decided to check it and press the wonderful little air compressor into service.

Anyway - fronts now 35psi and rears 33psi - that's what it says for the 195/65 R15s which SHOULD be on the car, so I'm ***uming it's gonna be pretty close for the outsize Pirellis.

The clutch/gearbox feels absolutely fine - no slipping or grinding or anything. Last service in October about 3000 miles ago - I have checked the oil and it's fine.

Let's see what the next tank does.......

btw - what's the tank capacity and how many miles would I get once the petrol guage light comes on?

Phil yours is probably the same.My tank holds 65L and the light comes on so say when there is 2 gallons left or about 9.1L

With the climate control set to Auto, you are running around with the air-con on all the time. Press the A/C button and you'll notice the display with then say "A/C off".

I get between 23 and 30 miles to the gallon in mine, thats lots of short journeys and about 10 miles on the motorway every day (due to a bridge closure on the way to work!) some of the motorway driving is quite spirited though.

Your tyre width is the same as mine 225 although mine are 17'' - that is the standard tyre for the Accords with the 17'' option - so your 16's are not too far off the mark.

The thing is that with the v-tec engines they love to be reved and sound grEAt at higher revs, i find it kind of hard not giving some beans every so often, it's what their designed to do.

The problem is that driving our Hondas as they were meant to driven = Rubbish MPG

My 2.0 gets about 30 mpg just going from home to tesco etc and then a good kicking when i drive it. I know the tourers are a bit more thirsty but 23 is a bit keen.

My saloon is on 225/45/17 tyres as well. The correct psi is 33 front and 32 rear for this size tyre.

i had a 53 plate 2.0 ltr tourer auto box. the fuel consumption was the only disapointment about the car. i wouldnt have another honda petrol again.

brian

My 2.0 gets about 30 mpg just going from home to tesco etc and then a good kicking when i drive it. I know the tourers are a bit more thirsty but 23 is a bit keen.

My saloon is on 225/45/17 tyres as well. The correct psi is 33 front and 32 rear for this size tyre.

Mines a saloon mate.

Mines a saloon mate.

Wow, you must have lead shoes. :D
My old Vectra 2.2 petrol averaged 29mpg round town and shopping etc and my Accord uses less fuel. I dont know the exact figures as i dont have a trip computer but it emptys my wallet less than my old Vectra. I would say it is between 30 and 34 mpg.
To be fair it is mainly used by the misses, Im sure if it was left to me doing all the driving it would be under 30mpg.

Wow, you must have lead shoes. :D
My old Vectra 2.2 petrol averaged 29mpg round town and shopping etc and my Accord uses less fuel. I dont know the exact figures as i dont have a trip computer but it emptys my wallet less than my old Vectra. I would say it is between 30 and 34 mpg.
To be fair it is mainly used by the misses, Im sure if it was left to me doing all the driving it would be under 30mpg.

I am doing a test this week, i put £20 in when the light came on on Friday.
I am going to drive gingerly i.e. change gear at 2.5k and keep to 70 ish on the motorway and see waht i get doing that...........by the way i am already getting bored.

Also i haven't really been doing myself any favours with the cold mornings - i have been warming it up on the drive........lazy i know but it's nice getting into a warm car :rolleyes:
Plus having the climate on and the heated seats/mirrors and rear screen doesn't help.
I normally don't pay much attention to how much fuel i am using, but with the recent hikes in fuel costs and running two cars, it has made me take notice.

2 other petrols I had which were better than this, as well as being much older technology:

Saab 9-5 2.3 LPT automatic (LPT-Light pressure turbo) 170bhp, but oh my it would kickdown nicely and shift.

Anyway, this engine is (I'm told) based on an ancient Triumph engine of some description (Dolomite? dunno) - the Saab 4 pot lump is very old - even with the slush box it would still do 28-30mpg

Also had a Volvo V70 2.4 LPT 200bhp Auto - 5 cylinder petrol lump with turbo and slushbox - again, 28-32mpg, and that's a heavy car

My wife had a '94 Saab 900 2.0 petrol non-turbo manual which would return 33mpg regardless of how it was driven.

Anyway, tyres correctly inflated, SWMBO has done a few motorway trips as well, so hoping for a better result with 2nd tankful.

Fingers crossed bud.

Might take a couple more tanks to get a fair average though?

Phil, I just did a round trip from Bradford - Henley on Thames... and a little bit of driving around Henley on Thames.... I achieved 49.8 MPG on this total f 435 mile trip! I could have done 51.2 MPG if I didn't hit traffic on the M40.. that was on cruise control doing no more than 65mph.... AVG Speed according to computer was 52mph... and yes all of the MPG figures are correct... I have managed to get 520 miles out of my 2.0 Petrol on a full tank...

Local driving I must admit it does drop, I filled up to brim a few days ago and have done 120 miles since and needle has not moved, and I am averaging 36.5 MPG at the moment with just local driving! I use V Power Petrol and have done so for nearly one year now... but on the other hand when it snowed... I was averaging 22.1 MPG lol... I also use the climate control all the time too...

Its how you drive it mate, tyre pressures do make a big difference I have tested it many times.... I have even tested with other cheap fuel and I lost 80miles on a full tank once with normal fuel, since then my car has always had V Power an nothing else... nearly been a year now!

With the amount of wax and polish on your car Jav I am surprised it doesn't just slip between inter-spacial dimensions and you get to places before you leave... :D

LOL..... u reminded me dude, its due another detail soon ;) need a good clay and polish haha

Phil, I just did a round trip from Bradford - Henley on Thames... and a little bit of driving around Henley on Thames.... I achieved 49.8 MPG on this total f 435 mile trip! I could have done 51.2 MPG if I didn't hit traffic on the M40.. that was on cruise control doing no more than 65mph.... AVG Speed according to computer was 52mph... and yes all of the MPG figures are correct... I have managed to get 520 miles out of my 2.0 Petrol on a full tank...

Local driving I must admit it does drop, I filled up to brim a few days ago and have done 120 miles since and needle has not moved, and I am averaging 36.5 MPG at the moment with just local driving! I use V Power Petrol and have done so for nearly one year now... but on the other hand when it snowed... I was averaging 22.1 MPG lol... I also use the climate control all the time too...

Its how you drive it mate, tyre pressures do make a big difference I have tested it many times.... I have even tested with other cheap fuel and I lost 80miles on a full tank once with normal fuel, since then my car has always had V Power an nothing else... nearly been a year now!
thanks for the tip Jav - I'll give the V-power a shot - those are some mighty impressive MPG figures you're quoting

2 other petrols I had which were better than this, as well as being much older technology:

Saab 9-5 2.3 LPT automatic (LPT-Light pressure turbo) 170bhp, but oh my it would kickdown nicely and shift.

Anyway, this engine is (I'm told) based on an ancient Triumph engine of some description (Dolomite? dunno) - the Saab 4 pot lump is very old - even with the slush box it would still do 28-30mpg

Also had a Volvo V70 2.4 LPT 200bhp Auto - 5 cylinder petrol lump with turbo and slushbox - again, 28-32mpg, and that's a heavy car

My wife had a '94 Saab 900 2.0 petrol non-turbo manual which would return 33mpg regardless of how it was driven.

Anyway, tyres correctly inflated, SWMBO has done a few motorway trips as well, so hoping for a better result with 2nd tankful.

Mate im pretty sure there is something wrong with your car if your getting worse mpg than your old Volvo. I had a S60 2.4T exactly the same engine as yours but a slightly lighter car and i could'nt get anywhere near the mpg i get with the Accord.
Mine was a manual and drank like a fish, part of the reason for selling it if im being honest and the group 15 insurance was a factor as well.

Here are a few figures i have lifted from the Parkers website to give you an idea.

Honda Accord Tourer 2.0 exec combined mpg = 34

Volvo V70 2.4T geartronic combined mpg = 26

Saab 9-5 2.3T Linear combined mpg = 31

Mate im pretty sure there is something wrong with your car if your getting worse mpg than your old Volvo. I had a S60 2.4T exactly the same engine as yours but a slightly lighter car and i could'nt get anywhere near the mpg i get with the Accord.
Mine was a manual and drank like a fish, part of the reason for selling it if im being honest and the group 15 insurance was a factor as well.

Here are a few figures i have lifted from the Parkers website to give you an idea.

Honda Accord Tourer 2.0 exec combined mpg = 34

Volvo V70 2.4T geartronic combined mpg = 26

Saab 9-5 2.3T Linear combined mpg = 31
Having just got rid of a Volvo V70 diesel which was about 15-20% optimistic on it's fuel computer, perhaps the V70 2.4T I had was the same. I never measured it accurately because I wasn't paying for the fuel!

However, the Saab 9-5 2.3 LPT genuinely returned 30mpg - mine was the 170bhp lump which wasn't as powerful as the later 185bhp Linear.

I am doing a test this week, i put £20 in when the light came on on Friday.
I am going to drive gingerly i.e. change gear at 2.5k and keep to 70 ish on the motorway and see waht i get doing that...........by the way i am already getting bored.

Also i haven't really been doing myself any favours with the cold mornings - i have been warming it up on the drive........lazy i know but it's nice getting into a warm car :rolleyes:
Plus having the climate on and the heated seats/mirrors and rear screen doesn't help.
I normally don't pay much attention to how much fuel i am using, but with the recent hikes in fuel costs and running two cars, it has made me take notice.

Ok - the test is finished and i got 27.2mpg...................it was better when i took no heed of the mpg i was getting :eek:

Ok - the test is finished and i got 27.2mpg...................it was better when i took no heed of the mpg i was getting :eek:

Thats quite bad, I tested my car over the past two weeks commuting to work (2 mile away) and get...... 20mpg. Ouch. My type r was much better than that. Och well

Thats quite bad, I tested my car over the past two weeks commuting to work (2 mile away) and get...... 20mpg. Ouch. My type r was much better than that. Och well

2 Miles? Seriously?

I'm not surprised by your figures at all, not that they have them but a much older car would be on the choke the whole journey probably, using loads of fuel. Do you take it on longer journeys regularly to blow the cob webs out?

Well my recently serviced 2.0 i-VTEC managed 33 mpg after my first tank of fuel. That was in the really cold weather and icy/snowy road conditions using normal Shell unleaded.

The 2nd tankful was on supermarket petrol (I should know better), and included mainly stop start driving and a few trips to the dealers so would likely have had the engine running for long periods etc... it only achieved 24 mpg. But, can't be blamed considering the above.

In all my years of running Hondas, when run on supermarket fuel they always fall short by about 3 to 5 mpg. I'm back on the Shell now and already this tankful is looking much better. Hoping to crack 40 on a run :) I managed 37mpg out of my S2000 on a run which I was very happy with considering it has 237bhp! Normally achieve about 29-30 with mixed driving in that car.

Amazing mileage figures could be achieved with some of Honda's older VTEC-E engines that were in service in the early / mid 90's! 55-60 mpg easily achievable in some of the Civics I drove that used these engines.

Whenever I do mpg runs temptation always wins out :(. Gloucester and back tomorrow...any bets?

Well second tankful was 29mpg - that was Sainsbury's petrol - now filled up with Esso - wonder if that'll make a difference.

I never realised that different petrols could make such a difference - I thought 95 RON was 95 RON regardless of where you bought it