What's new

Wet starting

mac5

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 SE Executive
Hi All,

Had this problem a couple of times, and as the winter is drawing in, it'll only get worse. My Accord won't wet weather start if it's left. Unused for more than a few hours.

Example, Thursday I left it for more or less exactly 24 hours, and during that time it rained. Took me 20 minutes to start the car. A few weeks ago, I didn't leave it for quite so long, but it was in a more exposed place, and it took a bump start down a hill to get it going.

It only seems to do this when left in the wet for a period of time. Any ideas guys? Leads plugs etc have all been replaced.

Sadly, I have no regular parking space as I live in the City Centre, so it's rather ad-hoc. My garage is about 6 inches too short to get the Accord in and the door shut :(

Are either of the front footwells wet, or does the car steam up quickly? 6th gens have a common issue of rain water eating rust holes through the firewall where the strut tops are. Water gets in, causes condensation to get onto the ECU and causes the non starting.

Very common problem, especially as these cars get older.

I had this last winter. The car was left not started for nearly a week and when I tried to start her she'd turn over, but wouldn't fire.

The problem for me was condensation in the plugs. So a quick spray of WD40 with the plugs in situ and she fires every time now.

Try spraying some WD40 on the dizzy cap first - if it improves then that's where the moisture's getting in.

A new cap & arm from Springfield I mean Vertu will cost £30-40 maybe.