What's new

What is this for?

dave0922

Members
Reaction score
Car
99 Accord ES, F18B2
Hi, been investigating some trouble with running from cold start today and noticed this on the throttle body:

Its a capped off inlet, but why is it capped?

IMAG0702.jpg

Cap off:

IMAG0703.jpg

When I took the cap off whilst running the idle speed was raised to 750rpm, then when I put it back on, it felt like it was going to stall then went back to 450rpm which is my normal idle speed.

Any ideas?

Im pretty thats there so you can hook up a vacuum guage. I was having trouble with the idle on my SE. It turned out to be a dirty throttle body and IAC valve. I just cleaned them up with carb cleaner and now the idle is steady at 750rpm.

Im pretty thats there so you can hook up a vacuum guage. I was having trouble with the idle on my SE. It turned out to be a dirty throttle body and IAC valve. I just cleaned them up with carb cleaner and now the idle is steady at 750rpm.

Thanks, this seems to be the problem then. How on earth did you get the IAC valve off to clean it? Dont know if your SE is the same as my 1.8 ES but my IAC is right at the back of the throttle body and seems inaccessible?

Good question!

Mine was exactly the same, and I never had to take it off, but always wondered how you did. :unsure:

Can you get to it if you take the whole throttle body off?

I would imagine so but I would rather not mess around with that just incase I mess it up! lol... I am usually pretty confident with doing things myself but for some reason this area bugs me.

A copy of my reply in your other topic:

It's not that hard, you just have to remove the throttle body, 2 nuts and 2 bolts and then you have access to the IAC valve, although quite limited, it's easy to take out.
Just take care when removing the throttle body, there are a few vacuum lines, some of them made of metal, which you have to take them off.

Actually I will do this job in a few weeks, when I have the time to do it.

I just removed the air ducting and i was able to get it off. Two 10mm bolts on the iacv (one on top and one on the bottom) can be removed easily with a ratchet ring spanner. Then, use a long pliers to get the hose clips and hoses off the iacv et voila! I also cleaned the throttle body with it still on the car. Its an easy job once you start and my idle is rock steady now. Hope this helps!

i need to do this to the wife car - idle is also around 450rpm, meant to have good weather tomorrow so will give it a go then.

petrol should be ok to clean it ya?

and wtf does it look like? :ph34r: