What's new

What is VTEC

Wayno

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.0i Vetec
Sorry for a ridiculous question but I'm new to Honda.
What does the VTEC actually do?

Is it the DOHC engine which is ment to have the Type R kick to it ?? .. I read somewhere it was, but my engine has DOHC on the roca cover ( think thats the right name) ... but no kick ..

Find a quiet road with no other cars so that you won't be in their way.

Drive very slowly in 1st gear, with speed increasing very slowly i.e. light throttle opening. At some point you will feel and hear a difference, this is when the VTEC has engaged. Under WOT (wide open throttle) you won't noitce it, "kick in" is a phrase, "engage" would be more appropraite.

The 2.0l petrol is not a serious vtec, it has vtec on intake cam only, not exhaust. so you will still hear a slight induction noise change and usually up in the revs 4k+, but you only get to 6.2k and you're at max.

Oh and btw, the engine must be warm.

Real vtec is on both intake and exhaust cams. 2.4 Accord, type R's, vti's SiR's, Euro R's

baaaaaaaaaaBAAAAAAA
1k...2k...3k...4k......................

You really gotta gun it from first in the 2.0L Accord, it's not great while on the move.

Ahh cheers Mr .. that all makes sense.
So whatever I have read is either incorrect or I mis read it .. and im glad at that cos would mean I had problems with my car not running as it was suppose too.
Ta

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks guys. I'm planning on getting it mapped eventually, when I do I'll get the VTEC lowered to around 4k