What's new

What to Look for when buying 2006 Accord with 2.2cdti Engine?

bumbim

Reaction score
Car
jazz
There is a 2006 Accord Estate with 165k miles & 2.2ctdi engine that appears a very good deal.

Looks like one of the top specs, with leather, Sunroof , full service history and a fresh MOT & 3 owners ,last one having had it for past 5years.

Question is, How reliable are they at this sort of milage and should you even get one?

I heard that the 2.2cdti engine in the later next generation Accord had some DPF problems or stuff like that, does this have the same stuff/issues?

What are some major problems these cars usually have that you should look out for and how good are these engines as such?

It sounds like you have an exec with one of the higher specs and if it has a FSH that's a good start as long as the oil changes weren't done after an extended number of miles between them. The gen 7 doesn't have a DPF so it won't suffer the gen 8 problems you've heard of. Usual problems if they haven't been resolved are a cracked manifold and rattly timing chain, at that mileage you'd possibly expect the clutch to have been replaced so check the history for that. Other than that they are generally reliable and can go on past the 200k miles BUT it is a 15 year old car so due diligence is always required. Do a forum search for similar threads, you're not the first to ask but I think I've covered the basics.

Rust
Rear brake caliper
Abs sensor and module
Rear door seal and motor
Water in spare wheel housing
Bluetooth module

Electric tailgate. Check it opens with the key and via the button on the dash.

On the top of my head
Apart from the usual checks to do on a car, here are the common Accord diesel issues.
Even if you experience these, they are well covered on this forum so you will have no trouble getting them sorted.

-Check for exhaust fumes from the manifold (these are known to crack) although considering the mileage may have ready been replaced by now.
(fumes will go into the cabin) this was a honda TSB
-Another TSB - Alternator belt routing was adjusted for a different route as the older route was too tight and killed alternator bearings.
Symptoms of a dying alternator bearings - Clicking sounds coming from the alternator when engine is running
-Drive axles can cause vibration upon acceleration. People who drive these cars hard or remap them can kill the axles quickly.
(common issue)
-Check top power steering hose and lower power steering cooler pipe on lower grill in front of rad. I replaced both of them in mine now.
Due to the age. Front cooler pipe perished and top high pressure hose pipe leaked. Common issue as the vibration where its anchored will penetrate the hose over time.
-Check to see if the nav disc is present and not a copy although the nav system is old its always good to check if its working.
-Bluetooth module (as mentioned) another common issue. The module dies and just drains the main battery. You probably wont be able to check it anyways but worth a mention.
Plenty of threads on the Bluetooth issue - I've just installed a parrot system on mine
-Often over looked. The fuel filter. These need to be changed every 25k miles. Check to see when it was last done.
-When car is at operating temp. Turn the car off and then restart it. If it fails to restart then its the pressure relief valve that needs replacing

Also clutches are expensive on these cars. Around £1200 supply and fit. So it can write the car off getting it done.
Check the condition of the clutch.

The 7th gen accord does not have a DPF only an EGR but this can be cleaned quite easily as its positioned on the front of the engine.
The key with high mileage cars would be its service history and service intervals between oil changes.

Hope it helps ;)

I have had mine for over 6 years now and learnt soo much about them.
Despite its common issues, service them every 6k miles and use decent fuel. They are very reliable cars.

Last edited:
Gen 7 is there a button on the dash for the tailgate??
Not on mine there isn't...even though my pre facelift is top spec executive no button in cabin for tailgate.Only today picking kids up from school i had to remove key and use fob as usual to open it from within the car.Could it be that the dash switch/button was added on facelift models?

On the top of my head
Apart from the usual checks to do on a car, here are the common Accord diesel issues.
Even if you experience these, they are well covered on this forum so you will have no trouble getting them sorted.

-Check for exhaust fumes from the manifold (these are known to crack) although considering the mileage may have ready been replaced by now.
(fumes will go into the cabin) this was a honda TSB
-Another TSB - Alternator belt routing was adjusted for a different route as the older route was too tight and killed alternator bearings.
Symptoms of a dying alternator bearings - Clicking sounds coming from the alternator when engine is running
-Drive axles can cause vibration upon acceleration. People who drive these cars hard or remap them can kill the axles quickly.
(common issue)
-Check top power steering hose and lower power steering cooler pipe on lower grill in front of rad. I replaced both of them in mine now.
Due to the age. Front cooler pipe perished and top high pressure hose pipe leaked. Common issue as the vibration where its anchored will penetrate the hose over time.
-Check to see if the nav disc is present and not a copy although the nav system is old its always good to check if its working.
-Bluetooth module (as mentioned) another common issue. The module dies and just drains the main battery. You probably wont be able to check it anyways but worth a mention.
Plenty of threads on the Bluetooth issue - I've just installed a parrot system on mine
-Often over looked. The fuel filter. These need to be changed every 25k miles. Check to see when it was last done.
-When car is at operating temp. Turn the car off and then restart it. If it fails to restart then its the pressure relief valve that needs replacing

Also clutches are expensive on these cars. Around £1200 supply and fit. So it can write the car off getting it done.
Check the condition of the clutch.

The 7th gen accord does not have a DPF only an EGR but this can be cleaned quite easily as its positioned on the front of the engine.
The key with high mileage cars would be its service history and service intervals between oil changes.

Hope it helps ;)

I have had mine for over 6 years now and learnt soo much about them.
Despite its common issues, service them every 6k miles and use decent fuel. They are very reliable cars.

Thanks dude! That will really help,

Not on mine there isn't...even though my pre facelift is top spec executive no button in cabin for tailgate.Only today picking kids up from school i had to remove key and use fob as usual to open it from within the car.Could it be that the dash switch/button was added on facelift models?

Mine is pre-facelift and doesn't have one either. I was afraid I had missed it all these years !!!!

Mine is pre-facelift and doesn't have one either. I was afraid I had missed it all these years !!!!
Haha I read about it previously and thought id missed it too.Maybe honda suddenly realised they forgot to fit the switch and added it to later models lol.I would absolutely buy the switch if i could but sadly there would be no wiring in place for it.

All this tailgate opening has reminded me.

Check the mechanical operation of the doorlock when inspecting.

Some local scrote has tried to gain access through the drivers door with a screwdriver or similar, wrecking the lock internals in the process . The key for operates as normal, but should the battery die, I would be hard pushed to get into the car without replacing it.