What's new

What would you have to change to tune a 1.8 sport

Dalerobert

Members
Reaction score
Car
1.8 vtec sport
I know theres been alot of debates about whats the point of tuning a 1.8 sport and it would cost to much, but what would you have to do to the engine to get some decent gains without engine swopping??

To be honest mate engine wise i dont think there's much you can do to the F18b but i suppose an aftermarket manifold, de-cat/sports cat with the right breathing set up could release a few more horses. Thats the route i'm gonna go down anyway.

Surely someone out there has lol yeah thats my next thing to do fella i know a few people say the 1.8 is pointless and untuneable but im going to look into it abit more if anybody can help then that would be grate

Supercharged? :D

Apart from adding a turbo or supercharger there is not a lot that can be done to the F18B2 bearing in mind its just a SOHC engine, even with full intake, exhaust and head work it wont make anymore than 15-18bhp over stock.

The money you would need to spend to extract that 15-18bhp from a naturally aspirated single cam engine would be better spent on a H22.

No idea to be honest as im not sure anyone has done it, no idea how strong the internals are.

When I had my Civic Type R's there were quite a few guys that added a Rotrex or Jackson charger but the cost of the kit, fitting and mapping came to 4-5k so its more economical to spend 2.5k on a Accord Type R.

i done alot to mine before i sold it.
mine was F18b2 with S2000 F20 DOHC head and inlet manifold, uprated pistons, uprated oil seals and feed pipes, Spoon cams, spoon stainless manifold, HKS decat pipe, Spoon cat back system, Buddy Club stand alone ecu fully remapped, S2000 fuel pump and injectors.

dont listen when people say theres not much u can do ect...just imagine what you want, then do what it takes to make it work mate ;)

TonyK7ng87 said:
mine was F18b2 with S2000 F20 DOHC head and inlet manifold, uprated pistons, uprated oil seals and feed pipes, Spoon cams, spoon stainless manifold, HKS decat pipe, Spoon cat back system, Buddy Club stand alone ecu fully remapped, S2000 fuel pump and injectors.

dont listen when people say theres not much u can do ect...just imagine what you want, then do what it takes to make it work mate ;)
With all those mods what sort of power was it making?

TonyK7ng87 said:

That sounds awesome fella just the kind of thing i was hoping to hear was it a lot of work swopping the heads around bet it sounded awesome :)

Ive recently installed a full stainless steel cat back system with de-cat on my 1.8 sport 2.5 inch straight through with no silencers either, has noticeably more pick-up around 2-3k revs and 5k onwards in any gear, also running a CAI with cone filter and stainless intake, breathes alot more easily than when I first bought it standard! ;)

KyleMartin said:
Ive recently installed a full stainless steel cat back system with de-cat on my 1.8 sport 2.5 inch straight through with no silencers either, has noticeably more pick-up around 2-3k revs and 5k onwards in any gear, also running a CAI with cone filter and stainless intake, breathes alot more easily than when I first bought it standard! ;)
How loud is it with the straight through system?

Reason I ask is I fitted an unsilenced system to my old Civic Type R with with a Spoon replica back box and it was so loud it gave me a headache.

TonyK7ng87 said:

Only just noticed this but not to sound rude, it sounds impossible.

For a start, the F20C is chain driven where as the F18B is belt driven. The head wouldn't even come close to lining up. An F20C is open deck while the F18B is closed deck. The air intake is the wrong way round...Oh, and the F20C spins in the opposite direction to the F18B.

Anyway, not having a go mate but I would really like to see some pictures. Even with all the internal mods and the swap, my H22 (some specs below) cost me less than what an F20C head with spoon internals would cost, and would make less power too.

Also, the fuel pump used in 6th gens is seriously over engineered and has a higher flow rate than an S2K, so I'm not sure why you would change that too??