What's new

Wheel bearings

Roylewaa

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord SE Exec
Just got a quote for 1 wheel bearing on my wife's mates car which was £179 for the front as apparently you can't just buy the bearing, you have to buy the whole hub, Is that right?

And a quote for £124 if its a rear that has gone

Cheers for any info :)

Absolute Bo**ocks!
Had both my front bearings pressed out and replaced for £15 a side as I provided the bearings and I do not own a press.
The only thing you have to be careful of is they have to be fitted a certain way round due to the ABS but there was a leaflet in the box explaining which was the correct way.
Just re-read your post. Is it a 6th gen like yours?
The rear, on the other hand, does require a new hub.
I will try and find out where I got my bearings from.

If its also the same as the 7th and 8th gen tony is correct.
Front bearing can be replaced but rear is a complete hub

Thanks chaps, yes it is a 6th Gen 1.8

I found the bearings on ebay, considerably cheaper than the garage has quoted, even for the rear

I'm unsure which wheel is at fault, as the tell tale drone sometimes sounds like its coming from the front wheel, the other times the rear

She's already booked the car in, Ive told her to get them to find out which wheel has the failed bearing and I will source her the parts for them to fit, although some garages can be funny when yu supply your own parts as im fairly sure the mark up the price of them

I had a droning in my 6th gen at 65-70mph.
It was impossible to pinpoint where the sound was coming from whilst on the move. The only way to tell was to jack up the front end remove the wheel and brake pads, then turn the brake disc and I could feel the notchiness in the bearing.
Any decent mechanic will be able to feel a dodgy bearing whilst spinning the wheel with the car jacked up.
If it is the front then it would be wise to get both of them done.