What's new

Wheel Bearings?

Stug

Members
Reaction score
Car
2005 Accord CDTi
Hi,

I am getting a strange whining noise (not from engine), which I think is coming from the rear of the vehicle.

The faster I go, the louder the noise.

I'm guessing it's a wheel bearing/bearings??

Is this a diy job, or if it needs to go in a garage, how much are we talking roughly??

Also, my accord cdti has now done 83,000 miles.
I believe it has a timing chain rather than a belt.
Is this good for a few miles yet??

Thanks in advance,

Stuart

Hi,
Could well be the bearing. The rear bearing is an easy enough swap, it is a separate hub held on with 4 bolts. Someone here did a good DIY I think, have a look.
Regarding the timing chain, yes it is a chain and as far as I know it is not a scheduled service item, ie you don't replace it unless there is a problem, some of the more knowledgeable guys here might advise you further though. There was an extended warranty to do with the timing chain or tensioner though for the 2005 model, again one of the others might be able to help but there is loads of info on the forum already about this issue.
JM

Hi,
Could well be the bearing. The rear bearing is an easy enough swap, it is a separate hub held on with 4 bolts. Someone here did a good DIY I think, have a look.
Regarding the timing chain, yes it is a chain and as far as I know it is not a scheduled service item, ie you don't replace it unless there is a problem, some of the more knowledgeable guys here might advise you further though. There was an extended warranty to do with the timing chain or tensioner though for the 2005 model, again one of the others might be able to help but there is loads of info on the forum already about this issue.
JM

Thanks JM,

Ideally I would like to do it myself, my brake discs and pads are needing done too so it would be a good days tinkering!!

I was thinking of maybe getting rid of my car but apart from these issues it has been a really solid motor so not sure.
If its looked after it will go on for a while yet I ***ume??

Stuart

This may sound silly, but how long have you had the tyres on and how worn are they? Some brands of tyres and worn tyres can often make a noise which gets worse with speed and sounds like a wheel bearing.

The tyres on the back are Goodyears (I think!) but have been on a while, maybe half worn i'd say.

I have Firestones on the front but 1 is needing replaced, it's almost on the limit.

Stuart