What's new

Wheel Size/comfort

MrMwa

Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi. So I have 2.4 type S. Absolutely love the car but recently I'm finding the ride too harsh and too much road feel through the steering wheel on rough roads. Wheels are standard 17inch with Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance 2 225/45/17 XL tyres.

So I've been thinking to get 205/55/17 tyres or 16 inch wheels.

The problem with the 16 inch wheels is that I can't find any tyres with a load rating of 94(that's what it says on the door sticker). Also will 16 inch wheels from a Civic fit because I believe the Accords brakes are 300mm compared to the civics 260mm.

What should I do? I really don't want to sell the car.

Thanks

There is plenty of tyres that size with 94 load rating.
I went to that size with my 7th Gen Tourer and had no problems finding 94 or XL rated tyres,
Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 have a 94 load rating in 205/55-16, I find them to be an excellent tyre.
Bridgestone Turanza T005 also 94 load rating.
I think if you look for XL rated tyres you may find them easier than looking for a 94 but they are the same thing.

I think you can only get the 55 profile on 16 inch wheels not 17 inch. You can get 94/XL/reinforced 205/55/16s, there are a few of them on the Blackcircles website. I've had both and the 16s are definitely a nicer ride.

There is plenty of tyres that size with 94 load rating.
I went to that size with my 7th Gen Tourer and had no problems finding 94 or XL rated tyres,
Hankook Ventus Prime 3 K125 have a 94 load rating in 205/55-16, I find them to be an excellent tyre.
Bridgestone Turanza T005 also 94 load rating.
I think if you look for XL rated tyres you may find them easier than looking for a 94 but they are the same thing.
Thanks. So the 16 inch wheels should fit on the Accord comfortably? because the caliper looks quite close to the wheel already and I'm worried that the 16 inch alloy won't fit. I've found plenty of 16inch civic alloys on eBay. Also I was trying to avoid XL tyres because I think they are too harsh. I think I'll look for them tyres you mentioned. Thanks again

I think you can only get the 55 profile on 16 inch wheels not 17 inch. You can get 94/XL/reinforced 205/55/16s, there are a few of them on the Blackcircles website. I've had both and the 16s are definitely a nicer ride.
I've checked on line 55 profile is possible on 17s but all I'm finding are XL tyres which I don't want. My previous accord was on 16s and ride was very comfortable.

Yes they do take 16s I had them on my 7th gen 2.4 EX Tourer - unless the S is different

Presumably you want to get whatever spec tyres the handbook says you need otherwise if you have an accident your insurer will use that to get out of paying but from memory I think the handbook said they had to have a V speed rating but didn't say anything about load rating. again on Black Circles there are plenty of 91s in that size if you search with the reinforced box unticked

I have a type s saloon and brakes discs are 300mm front and 282mm rear. So if yours are the same then 16 inch wheels should fit on mine too.

Load rating for mine is 94.

I might just get 205 55 R17 instead of changing the wheels. This will change the speedo slightly by 2mph which is ok really

Yes mine were 300mm front and 282m rear. I'm on 17s now and the ride is harsher but up to you. I bought an extra set of OEM 16 rims for winter tyres for about £80 so worth waiting for the right deal.

Thanks for letting me know. Tbh I really liked the 17s at the beginning and even now on the twisty roads, handling and grip is fantastic I've never slipped(apart from on ice lol). But most of the time I want to just have a relaxing drive and the harshness is really getting to me. I'm ok with giving up handling in favour of comfort. Really miss the comfort of my 2.0 Accord.

I believe both the 2.0 and 2.4 saloons on 16s are 91v(my neighbor has the 2.4 executive saloon on 16s and its 91v), I think the reason the 17s are 94w is because they're low profile tyres.

So I'll most likely just get 16s with a high profile tyre. I've found a decent set on eBay with plenty of tread too.

Plus 205 55 r16 are very cheap and easy to find compared to 205 55 r17s.

Thanks again for the help.

My 2.4 Tourer has 16's and 205/55/16 91v. I'm actually thinking of getting a set of 17's to put on there as the 16's just look tiny on the car. Be aware any XL rated tyre will inherently be stiffer hence a harsher ride and potentially nosier than the equivalent non XL tyre. So unless you actually need XL rated tyres (and I don't believe the Accord does) then I wouldn't recommend them. I believe my handbook says; 205/55R16 91V on a 6.5JJx16 rim or 225/45ZR17 91Y on a 7Jx17. (Autodata says 225/45ZR17 91Y or 94W).

My 2.4 Tourer has 16's and 205/55/16 91v. I'm actually thinking of getting a set of 17's to put on there as the 16's just look tiny on the car. Be aware any XL rated tyre will inherently be stiffer hence a harsher ride and potentially nosier than the equivalent non XL tyre. So unless you actually need XL rated tyres (and I don't believe the Accord does) then I wouldn't recommend them. I believe my handbook says; 205/55R16 91V on a 6.5JJx16 rim or 225/45ZR17 91Y on a 7Jx17. (Autodata says 225/45ZR17 91Y or 94W).
Yeah XL low profile tyres with lowered suspension(from factory) is real harsh on the roads. Mine is 2.4 type s saloon.

If you do go to 17s you are going to sacrifice some comfort, maybe a lot maybe a little.

Also made mistake in earlier post, saloon front brakes are 300mm and rear are 260mm.

Sometimes I don't even want to drive the car because of how uncomfortable the ride is lol. I'm only on 17s too can't imagine 18s or 19s daaaamn.

I've bought mk8 civic 16s, hopefully should arrive soon.

Last edited:
An interesting thread to someone new to Hondas. My accord tourer is on 17's and I don't find the ride harsh (probably because I used to Audis and 19's). Having said that, my wife's' civic is on 16's and it is a nice ride. My tourer is high mileage and probably needs suspension change so maybe after that I may have a different opinion. Just to confuse the issue further I'm about to fit 18's.:rolleyes:

Done that myself Bob, 18s with 45 ratio, ride is a bit harsh to be fair. I might try 50s on them next change. Handling is good but pothole fear has me sweating.

The handbook doesn't recommend a load rating, which is all about weight as it says on the tin. I looked into it when I had my 7th Gen Tourer, and came to the conclusion that it was borderline whether to use XLs or not, depending on who or what you had in the car with you. I went for them on the basis I'd rather have a slightly thirstier and rougher ride, than a high speed blowout. Probably not an issue on the saloon though with the lower weight.

My previous Accord was the 2.0 executive saloon on 16s and ride was very comfortable even on cheap tyres but handling not so good, alot of body roll.

I currently own the saloon 2.4 type S which is factory lowered. I noticed the difference immediately in handling and ride comfort when test driving it.

It was on 17s(XL tyres) which made the ride quite uncomfortable for me, it felt way too crashy on uneven roads and quite noisy.

I purchased 16 inch alloys and a set of Michelin Primacy 4 tyres about 2 weeks ago and covered about 500 miles.
Ride and noise levels are much better now, still a little bumpy but not like before.

Surprisingly handling is still about the same even on 205/55/16 compared to 225/45/17

Once thing I was quite confused about was the door stickers, I had 2!

One was a clean white sticker which had 225/45/17 94 W on it

The one underneath it was off white and had 205/55/16 91 V printed on it

I found that quite strange, never seen 2 door stickers with different tyre sizes.o_O

Last edited: