What's new

Wheel spacers - yay or nay?

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
From an aesthetic point of view the Honda's main styling let down in my opinion is how badly the wheels fill the arches. Has anyone got any opinions experience of using 'spacers' to make the wheels stick that bit further out?

Pretty sure it'd mess up the handling....but thought I'd ask..

These are the biggy 30mm ones but smaller are available.

or

others

I've fitted spacers to Fords many years ago, mostly for track but also for posing on the highway... the greater 'leverage' did take a toll on the wheel bearings, but I have no experience of fitting spacers to a Honda (nor any vehicle made in the last 30 years!) but I can imagine that the wheel bearings might suffer. Might improve the handling, you never know?

They're normally fitted to road cars in order to correct the offset on aftermaket wheels.

Do you mean 'fill the arches' as in viewed from the side of the car? I think that's where Honda's always get their design wrong. Spacers push the track out so when viewed from the Front/Rear on they do look a bit better, but I wouldnt reccomend fitting them, it's a cheap fix to make the car look a bit more 'aggressive', but they put more strain on the wheel bearings, and alter the whole feel of the car. There is a reason why car manufacturer's have different offsets, the whole suspension geometery is disigned to work with that specific offset. The only way to fill the arches is to lower the suspension. Bigger diameter wheels will give the illusion that they are filled better viewed side on, but as they are also generally a wider rim, that gives the same aesthetic look as spacers, but still retains the OEM offset.

PS - Fitted my new 18 inchers today, and they look fckin wonderful :D

I personally don't like the idea of spacers. As above they put further strain on the whole wheel ***embly.

Just my opinion though.

Not saying spacers are good or bad, but i can say 10mm maximum, otherwise you need extended studs, this is because after 10mm there isnt enough threads for the nut to hold safely.

H&R do a wide (no pun..) range of spacers with a hub centric lip to slot the wheel onto. This stops the steering wheel shaking, if you dont torque the wheels up with the wheel central.

I have 10mm and have had no issues for years.

agree with 93accord if you really need to use spacers max is 10mm and only hub centric, not some cheap pieces of metal from ebay, but if you want to fill wheels arch, instead of spacers get some wheel wit lower offset, et38 is filling up arches nicely :rolleyes: