What's new

When to change the oil

Silverton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord iCDTi 2006
Hi there. I recently picked up an '06 iCDTi and for the first time have decided to DIY service as much as possible.

I appreciate that this is servicing 101 but when is it recommended to change the oil/filter?

6000 miles if you can afford to that's my advice some do it every 3 thousand. It's really easy to do on this car as it has a little flap for the sump plug so no need to remove any plastic trim underneath. I Think the manufacturer recommendeds 12000 miles in the book.

chew said:
6000 miles if you can afford to that's my advice some do it every 3 thousand. It's really easy to do on this car as it has a little flap for the sump plug so no need to remove any plastic trim underneath. I Think the manufacturer recommendeds 12000 miles in the book.
Cheers - thanks for that.
In my owners manual, it doesnt provide a clear recommendation for the EU. In my manual it says every 10,000km (6,250 miles) for normal conditions (except EU, Australia and New Zealand) and 5,000km (3125 miles) for severe conditions.

I read that as well. if 6250 Miles is the recommended interval for the rest of the world then I use that interval. No way that EU oils are 2 x as good as anywhere else.
FWIW I do mine at 6k intervals, given that these can suffer from Oil and Cam chain/slipper wear then shorter intervals are cheap insurance.
I buy 20l of 5w-30 oil (Mobil Super XE3000) which is 18k miles I bought Mahle filters from Mister-Auto which are the OEM filter.

The Haynes manual says it best -

Frequent oil changes are the best preventative maintenance the home mechanic can give the engine, because ageing engine becomes diluted and contaminated, which leads to premature engine wear.

Excol 0-30 fully synth every 6,000 new filter 12,000. You cannot go wrong.

lubetech.jpg

They are at the bottom of the page.