What's new

Where does your clutch engage?

OutCold

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord i-CTDi 2004
First off - I hope I can explain myself clearly enough for you to understand.
Today I drove a facelift 2.2 tdci and I found out that its clutch feels and behaves quite differently from mine. What I mean - when I'm in 1-st gear and releasing the clutch it engages (not sure if that's a correct expression) immediately and the car almost jumps forward (it feels like a kick). I have to be very careful and gentle with the clutch pedal when I start moving. On the facelift the clutch was far more smoother.
My clutch is not slipping as far as I can say (I did the here recommended test - 3rd gear, 2000 rpm and pedal to the metal).
I'm just wandering if this is normal and whether there is any way to adjust the clutch pedal.

p.s.: I did a search but found nothing on that matter. Any help is appreciated!

Simo, it could be a clutch fluid issue or the cruise pedal switch is adjusted incorrectly. These cars have a self adjusting pressure plate - the idea being that as the friction plate wears, the pressure plate self adjusts to give you a consistent pedal feel even when its on its last legs.

As far up near my left ear!

need to adjust mine, thought it was worn, but its not that worn yet, but i reckon the thrust bearing will poo its self before the clutch, making some funny noises of late

To be honest iv not ever noticed i just get in and drive ill check tomorrow.

On every Diesel i have owned the biting point has been very low. The same can be said of my mums brand new Golf TDI.
Even in my Petrol Accord the biting point is low and the clutch has life left in it.

On every Diesel i have owned the biting point has been very low. The same can be said of my mums brand new Golf TDI.
Even in my Petrol Accord the biting point is low and the clutch has life left in it.
when a clutch is new and healthy the biting point is always very low and clutch is very responsive. Over time and wear a clutch adjusts itself and the bit gets higher. The higher the bit the weaker the clutch. Clutch fluid change may help but once its very high don't expect fluid change to make a massive difference. Also over time the pressure plate wears making the clutch engagement more stiffer which again means that the clutch will need attention at some point.

Mine, even though its done 163k still engages at about half way but slips if booted hard in 3 rd or 4 th. Had done for nearly 10k now,

Need to get it booked in soon I suppose.... :)

Mine, even though its done 163k still engages at about half way but slips if booted hard in 3 rd or 4 th. Had done for nearly 10k now,

Need to get it booked in soon I suppose.... :)
sooner rather than later mate, your risking your flywheel with it slipping. 163K is good going, is that on original clutch?

my 'bite' point is near the upper part, has always been. 70k on original clutch, no slip.

It seems that on most of the diesels the biting point is low so I might not have anything to worry about.
Anyway is there a way I can adjust this cruise pedal switch and change the clutch fluid myself or I have to go to the workshop?

sooner rather than later mate, your risking your flywheel with it slipping. 163K is good going, is that on original clutch?

Yes to original clutch as far as I can tell, a full history was provided when I bought it @ 132K detailing even down to bulbs and tyres but no mention of a clutch.

I am very mechanically sympathetic driving round the potential slip by not booting in 3/4th so its not actually slipping under power apart from the initial take up in first when setting off, my commute is 54 miles each way of pretty much all motorway so its in 5th within 1 mile of leaving home and stays there till I am ~ 4 miles from work the rest is main road usually in 4th so number of gear changes really is a minimum. As such its about as easy on the car as it possibly could be.

I will get round to sorting it shortly, I work in Knutsford so HH is not a million miles away, just the wrong side for me, I either need a courtesy motor to go up to work in or to try and persuade a work colleague who lives in Stoke to pick me up and take me back to collect. The wife has been making noises about liking the looks of the new CRZ thing so I was wondering if they could do a sort of 24 hour demo on one so I could take it home to show her and let her drive it at night.I'll ask when I ring them up.

Ian