What's new

Where to get a new starter motor from?

Galgo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Mk7 2.4 Tourer
Hi guys, my 2.4 has an issue where when you start it from cold the starter motor over-runs. I did fit a new Bosch S4 battery to the car a couple of weeks ago (someone put the wrong type on there) but it hasn't fixed the issue.

I'm pretty sure the starter motor/solenoid is knackered but on the weekend I'll test the new battery with a multimeter just to double-check the starter is getting enough juice. I do need to buy a new battery earth strap as mine looks a bit frayed but I don't think that is causing the over-run problem...

Anyway I phoned my local Honda dealer today and they want £540 for a new starter + labour. I've seen the YouTube vids on how to remove it so I'm going to attempt the work myself and save the £220-odd on labour...! Personally I think £540 is obscene, especially on a Honda Accord.

I don't really want to pay £320 for a new starter motor from Honda so I was thinking of sourcing one elsewhere. I looked on the Euro Car Parts website and they sell a RTX one for £109 which seems reasonable. However - some people online have said they aren't good quality.

Can anyone recommend me a good brand of starter motor, and where to buy one from?

Thanks (and sorry for the essay) :)

If you looking for a oe quality also cheap, why not going to this website and quote the price, thery are many breaker, and will be providing whatever parts you want, all the parts had been test or working before they removed I believe, and very cheap for the starter motor, I would expect around £45-80, and of course the more expensive one the better condition you may get. And it could possibly last the life time of your vehicle

www.partsgateway.co.uk

Thanks guys :)

skinnyman said:
£320?!?!

Christ my old Audi A4 needed one and it was a touch over £100
Yeah I know, I checked the Lings Honda website and it's a similar price on there too so not a mistake. I once owned a V6 Calibra many years ago and had to buy a new starter for it from Vauxhall... Even they only charged £170 and that included labour from what I remember.

Honda really need to address prices like this, they're competing with Audi for parts and labour, when they should be more like Skoda/Ford.