What's new

Which Brake Discs and Pads - Brembo or EBC

Vengeance52

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord
Hey all,

Finally joined the forum and im starting to upgrade things on my car. Spoiler done and Type S grill is next.

But I need to change my discs and pads soon and I have looked about at OEM, Blue Print, Apec etc and I have narrowed my choice to EBC or Brembo

EBC http://www.brakes4u.co.uk/
Ultimax Brake Pads Front and Back
Standard Brake Discs Front and Back

or

Brembo http://www.nextdaybrakes.com/
Brembo Original Rear Brake Discs
Brembo Vented Front Brake Discs
Brembo Rear Brake Pad Set P28030
Brembo Front Brake Pad Set P28036

What do you think from your own personal experience?

Thanks
Matt

Moved from stock brakes to green stuff pads and grooved discs. I did this as an experiment on longevity. Cost wise the performance is noticeable, but not epically better than stock. If they last 20 b 30% longer then fine.

No point upgrading the rears at all.

Would you suggest going with grooved and green stuff for the front, and either OEM or EBC standard for the back?

There's been mixed reviews of the grooved discs, but I have no complaint so far - quite like the noise the grooves make :lol:

There is almost certainly no performance benefit going further up the price scale, your combination (***uming you don't want stock fronts) will work fine. The rears don't do enough work to justify any mods.

What is your reason for non stock replacements?

Reason for change is just to experiment to see what the difference with performance of the setup and the life of it would be compared to the OEM options.

Unless you're suffering from performance issues on your standard pads like brake fade then the Green stuff pads will be perfectly fine. They have good initial bite from cold which I think is quite noticeable over standard pads even when paired with standard disks.

The grooved discs will cause your pads to wear faster as they also act to skim any glaze off the pads surface when the brakes are applied. This will also cause your pads to generate more brake dust. The dust reduction claim of EBC pads only applies to solid discs which don't have this effect on the pads, so you might end up clean your wheels more often lol. But as Dan said the grooves do cause a nice sound, and they look good too.

The grooved discs have got a bit of a bad reputation in the past due to a design upgrade several years ago which caused them to warp, that design faults been corrected but the bad reputation seems to have stuck, however unwarranted it is now. But if you take care of them, the same you would with any other discs and pads after hard use, then there's no reason why you would have any issues.

I've had EBC discs and pads before, and given them a LOT of abuse and had no issues what so ever, and plan to upgrade to them again when my current OEM brakes need replacing. :)

Maybe I should just start with the EBC standard discs and pads and see how I get on from there.

I would love to have the grooved discs and green stuff but I dont think the budget will allow it.

They do create a lot dust :lol:.

I never had brake fade on stocks, until the pads were worn right down.

I would only use green stuff pads with slotted discs because of the heat build up.
I have gone back to stock and won't change again.

Unless you're unhappy with stock, there is no need to upgrade. My choice was for harder compounds because of my apparent heavy braking style.

Which turned out not to but the missus not releasing the pedal when she stopped :(

When she stopped she wouldn't release the footbrake and apply the handbrake.

I am sure this is why pads and disks were glazed and wore out quickly.

One of my missions whilst she's away with the dude is to grind off the lip from my old stock discs and check the run out.

Just another +1 for EBC, i run EBC greenstuff and EBC Solids discs up front, and on my old car made a huge difference. Particularly initial bite.

Brembo are also good, and are OEM for alot fo sporty cars. However recently i heard that Brembo have gone down hill a bit lately in quality, but this is not a fact, just something im hearing alot as of late.

i personally would go for the brembo's as imo ebc are only fit for the bin. i had them on my prelude with green stuff and the discs cracked and the pads fell apart and also similar happened when i had them replaced by ebc for new discs wiv red stuff pads. utter *****

Im thinking of going with the standard EBC Discs and pads for the next change as a trial run and see how I get on.

Ive got Brembo blanks on mine seem good quality and better made than ebc imo.

Anybody here already using the EBC Ultimax brake pads. I was wondering what their performance was compared to OEM and Green stuff pads?

I do wonder how hard you lot are braking :lol:

Well im not planning on lots of hard braking, but I would like the option of improved brakes for roughly the same cost of the OEM parts. :D

I'm running ultimax pads and discs on the back, feel fine to me. The car stops, which is always a good thing.

Very little brake dust, but again this is on the rears, where you don't get as much anyway, bite was good from near the beginning, certainly once the paint had gone of the discs.

Cannot form a true overall opinion until I do the fronts.

Hi

I'm about to renew my front/rear pads and the disc. I think that they're R260 and F280mm but then I looked I found 300mm front discs. I do have a couple of questions. What is original size on my accord 06 2.0 EX and if original front disc 280mm would I be able to fit 300mm disc using same caliper?

What are your thoughts