What's new

Which toolkit?

Trying to do more of diy on my car, but just want to make sure I have right tools. Otherwise stuck in middle.... Which I don't want. Post links if you reckon anything you tried and worked well for you.

Many thanks

Probably Halfords Advanced range is a good place to start, often 'on sale' aswell.

If you have a specific DIY coming up then maybe someone can advise you on best tools for that particular job, often having a unique tool that's not available in a shop bought toolkit can make life a lot easier.

Thanks Andy, Planning to do small projects if weather allows ....
Full service
MTF change
Aux belt change to shorter version
Rear fog light wiring replaceFront
fog light ***embly change
Headlights removing and checking for seal breaks ( Condensation)

Thats it for time being :)

any general toolkit, Halfords pro range is excellent. I recommend the 200pc kit when on offer for 125-135. In addition you will need a good set of screwdrivers, various pliers, oil filter chain/wrench, gearbox key for oil, drain pan. If you doing front fogs you will probably need a drill and bit to drill out the rusted screws as you will muller them.

for the aux belt you'll need a suitable spanner with extension of som sort to lever the tensioner off.

Halfords stuff is okay , but from a man who uses tools for a living .. this is a better set .. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bahco-Socket-106-Piece-2-Inch-Drive/dp/B000Y8OFI6%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q%26tag%3Dduckduckgo-ffsb-uk-21%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB000Y8OFI6

I use one as my grab and go van set .. the abuse it receives is criminal to tools .. I have had the 1/2 sockets on the step up adaptor with a makita 3/4 drive impact gun battering them and ain't broke one yet ... Halfords ones explode when you do that to them . The ratchet can take being hit with the copper .. again .. and again ... and again .. and it still works as it did 2 years ago ... All in all the most impressive socket set for toughness I have ever had ... it's not refined like a snapon or Mac set ... but it is tough as it gets and a fraction of the price .. so you don't sob when you lose or eventually break something . And its not stupid multipoint halfords sockets .. it's proper 6 point sockets , so won't round of a bolt or nut thats had some corrosion .

I bought Advanced pro from Halfords 3-4 years ago and it serves me very well. There is half price now on the newest version of it (includes ratchet spanners now!), I would highly recommend it.

AndyB1976 said:
Has anyone tried this Halfords set? http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/tool-kits/halfords-advanced-professional-8-piece-screwdriver-set

I'm not a heavy user but personally I think they are a bargain (£7), made in Germany, magnetic tips, grippy handles - lots of positive reviews too.

Got a set of those free with some oil , they were okay .. but not they ain't hammer through and for my mechanical purposes hammer through is the essential feature . .. along with a hex pounding point so a spanner can be applied at the same time as giving it a wallop .

Thanks Guys for your supreme advice.

Alex, where do you get all these eats from man...? :eek:

Well honestly they come very handy... I learned a lot from this forum. Alex i have a million dollar question for you. You know you talked about those splash guard/engine guard rusted clips..... I have a huge problem, they are using problem as in order to remove them they are demagnify the plastic and especially hole is getting ruined.
I am very precious about those clips, it irritates me thinking what i will replace them with once they are force removed. Couldn't find any on internet.....

Please help and advice.

Cheers

I'd also say an impact screwdriver is needed for brake discs screws.

Thanks Guys for your supreme advice.

Alex, where do you get all these eats from man...? :eek:

Well honestly they come very handy... I learned a lot from this forum. Alex i have a million dollar question for you. You know you talked about those splash guard/engine guard rusted clips..... I have a huge problem, they are using problem as in order to remove them they are demagnify the plastic and especially hole is getting ruined.
I am very precious about those clips, it irritates me thinking what i will replace them with once they are force removed. Couldn't find any on internet.....

Please help and advice.

Cheers
Haha, no worries man.

The splash guard. Heres a diagram of it. I ***uming you mean the clips 21 and 17 ????

Honda Part number for 21 is
91503SZ3003

Ebay equivalent is here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-BUMPER-CLIPS-PUSH-RIVET-FASTENER-FIXING-10mm-HOLE-/400803059329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5d51b95681

Honda Part number for 17 is
90301SEA003
No alternative for part 17 though

The bolts that rusted up i think are part 13 and the other half 18

Honda Part number for 13 is
90111SEA000

Honda Part number for 18 is
90305SM4003

No alternatives for these parts