What's new

Which xcarlink ?

Taffytim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.0
Ive had a look on the search but cant see the answer so apologies if this has been asked before.

Im about to get an xcarlink system and I'll initially be using my HTC sensation as the device to play music from.

From what i can see this then allows me to buy either version of the xcarlink as the ipod version seems to have a 3.5mm jack input and the other version has a usb port. Which one should I get?

Also a few questions below if anyone could give me an answer:
1. Will the non ipod version power my device when plugged into the usb port?
2. Through the USB port will it play from my device's player or will it force it to play just as if its a memory stick(16 files)?
3. If i get an ipod in the future does the ipod version allow the device to play as normal or is that again limited to a memory stick layout?
4. Does the ipod version suffer the same loss of quality as the usb version?

Thanks

Ive had a look on the search but cant see the answer so apologies if this has been asked before.

Im about to get an xcarlink system and I'll initially be using my HTC sensation as the device to play music from.

From what i can see this then allows me to buy either version of the xcarlink as the ipod version seems to have a 3.5mm jack input and the other version has a usb port. Which one should I get?

Also a few questions below if anyone could give me an answer:
1. Will the non ipod version power my device when plugged into the usb port?
2. Through the USB port will it play from my device's player or will it force it to play just as if its a memory stick(16 files)?
3. If i get an ipod in the future does the ipod version allow the device to play as normal or is that again limited to a memory stick layout?
4. Does the ipod version suffer the same loss of quality as the usb version?

Thanks

Hi Taffytim, I had the same dilemma and went for the iPod version. It allows me to control the ipod via the buttons on the steering wheel (e.g. volume, previous/next track). You can shuffle between the iPod playlists using the buttons on the FIS. Once connected via the xcarlink, you cannot use the Ipod buttons to navigate (however on occasions I can...not sure how and when that happens).

With regards to the sound quality, its excellant and I dont think there is any loss of sound.

you cannot use the Ipod buttons to navigate (however on occasions I can...not sure how and when that happens).

You have manual control of the ipod when on CDC-01.
CDC-02 up to 09 is playlists, and you do not have manual control on the ipod.

Hope this helps.
Neil

Thanks for that, a great help. I'll try to order one tonight. CDs are so last century :D

all I need now is an ipod, an to install that ghastly i software on my pc

On that note

1. which Ipod would people recommend to use?

Im thinking the physically larger one would be easier to deal with when driving and also one with a screen

I have an Ipod classic, but itouch screen is bigger.
I would strongly suggest NOT trying to opperate the ipod whilst driving though. Even in manual mode you can track forward/back & adjust volume with steering wheel controls.

I have an Ipod classic, but itouch screen is bigger.
I would strongly suggest NOT trying to opperate the ipod whilst driving though. Even in manual mode you can track forward/back & adjust volume with steering wheel controls.
of course i mean when stationary or the person in the passenger seat.

Is the classic good enough?

Is the classic good enough?

It's an ipod, you won't get any better.
Mines 80gb it has 9394 tracks on it (with room for more) and will take 26.7 days to listen to them all :huh: .
You can now get 160gb ipods :eek:

You have manual control of the ipod when on CDC-01.
CDC-02 up to 09 is playlists, and you do not have manual control on the ipod.

Hope this helps.
Neil

Thanks Neil, now I know :p

TaffyTim, I have tested an iPod Classic (120GB), iPod Touch - 4th Gen (8GB) and iPhone 4/4S...without any issues or loss of sound ;)

Thanks Neil, now I know :p

TaffyTim, I have tested an iPod Classic (120GB), iPod Touch - 4th Gen (8GB) and iPhone 4/4S...without any issues or loss of sound ;)

Good stuff.

Will the xcarlink play the music through the data port or will it take it through the 3.5mm jack port?

Im asking as Ive got a mate selling an ipod but the jack port only gives sound to one ear. when played through the data port on my computer the sond comes through in stereo

Anyone tried the cheaper version different brand ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-2002-2011-iPOD-iPHONE-AUX-INPUT-ADAPTER-/360383346244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e8857644

Good stuff.

Will the xcarlink play the music through the data port or will it take it through the 3.5mm jack port?

Im asking as Ive got a mate selling an ipod but the jack port only gives sound to one ear. when played through the data port on my computer the sond comes through in stereo

sounds like your mates ipod is faulty imo. ive a classic 5th gen and get stereo out the 3.5mm jack and also through the dock connector.
im currently researching wether to get a xcarlink type adapter for the standard stereo, or replace it with my alpine ida-x100 (which i have grown to love!) :)
Alpine_IDA-X100_iPod_Headunit_1-thumb-450x153.jpg