What's new

Whine in low gears.. Help?

Fenchurch_Mark

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord
Hi, I have recently bought a 2007 2.2 i-CTDi accord ex manual with 70k miles. I have noticed a whine like noise when driving in lower gears (can only hear it when the windows are down), follows the revs up and down and goes when the clutch is dipped. I am thinking it may be gearbox related, or could possibly be thrust bearing? My clutch has the usual slipping on full throttle but only in higher gears, I am in the process of buying a new one from CG Motorsport (when they get back to me with a quote plus fitting) and I am just praying I don't have to shell out for a gearbox repair too.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

I could be wrong, but in my experience, that's whining noise sounds like the bearing(s) of the gear(s) is/are dying. :unsure:

I had a whining noise once on a Honda Civic. You could hear it in first gear and a little in 2nd. The lower gears are of course where all the power is. I found out it was a bearing in the gearbox whining under load. Had the whole gearbox rebuilt with new bearings throughout. Problem solved. Hope yours is something a bit cheaper.

I would get this propery diagnosed first before thinking its the gearbox.
A whine can even be your lively turbo and nothing to worry about.
With only 70k on the clock I haven't come across a failed gearbox as yet.
Can you get a Video up of the noise to help us

You will very often get a slight vibration through the car under power in the low gear if it is a gearbox bearing, I did. Can't really give an idea of cost as it was a long time ago and prices have certainly gone up since then. Brett is dead right though, don't think the worst untill you get it diagnosed by an expert.

There arent any vibrations under load, totally smooth. Plus to be honest I had a gearbox go in a vauxhall astra diesel I had a few years ago and the whine has a different noise to this one, but in saying that it's a totally different gearbox. I've taken a video on my way home from work, how do I upload it to the site?

Fenchurch_Mark said:
There arent any vibrations under load, totally smooth. Plus to be honest I had a gearbox go in a vauxhall astra diesel I had a few years ago and the whine has a different noise to this one, but in saying that it's a totally different gearbox. I've taken a video on my way home from work, how do I upload it to the site?
You can put it on YouTube and copy the link hear or on photo bucket.
If you look in the newbie section it has a thread there how to post photos and vids

Hi guys just a quick update, had a quick look at the car with a mate who'se quite clued up and the noise actually occurs when revving in idle and neutral, looked under the bonnet and the noise is coming from around the alternator belt area, he didn't think it sounded like a gearbox whine so wondering if anyone has had any issues with belts etc around this area? I've heard of worn tensioners but apparently they just make a knocking sound not a whine?

Could be worn alternator bearings or a slack belt.
Try taken the belt off to see if the noise stops.
If so its the belt or alternator at fault.
Also there is now a modified part from Honda a shorter belt from memory that lots of members has done with these kind of issues.

I'm going to get it looked at properly on Friday, I found an old thread on Civinfo where someone was having the exact same issue and a few people suggested the belt tensioner or belt idler, just a shame the guy never posted a resolution for it. Someone suggested timing chain but I really can't imagine it to make such a noise, all timing chain problems I've ever heard are always rattles/clunks.

Whining from the timing chain is actually quite common following replacement, and is considered normal.

But take off the auxiliary belt and see if the noise goes.

Fenchurch_Mark said:
I'm going to get it looked at properly on Friday, I found an old thread on Civinfo where someone was having the exact same issue and a few people suggested the belt tensioner or belt idler, just a shame the guy never posted a resolution for it. Someone suggested timing chain but I really can't imagine it to make such a noise, all timing chain problems I've ever heard are always rattles/clunks.
Did you find out what was causing the noise?