What's new

Whine on cold engine at 1500-2000RPM

Angrysmiley

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2CTDI
Sometimes when the engine is cold I can hear a whine when accelerating and when the RPM is at 1500-2000, this goes away after 5 min or more.

Any idea what it could be? Clogged EGR? Car has done quite a few miles .. It's an 07 with 100k on the clock soon (without any issues so far (hopefully)).

Welcome I'm sure :rolleyes:

Hi

I get the same whine in my car at 1500-2000RPM. Mine does not however go away when the car heats up.
Im starting to think that its the Turbo whinning.
Mine could be worse than yours that when the oil temp rises its still whinning but yours goes away once the oil temp rises and the viscosity decreases.
A whistle from the turbo is normal, but a whine is definitely not. I have no performance issues with the car other than that whine!
Anyone else shed some light on this??

Parv

Yes it's your turbo but it should never sound like a whine, even when cold.

Parv, have it diagnosed properly first. It's difficult to tell like this. And until the turbo fails i.e. stops working/building pressure or chucks out burn oil then I would leave it until it actually gets worse. Don't wait for it to break but at least to the point where it is properly noticable and then yes change it.

I'm doing the 100k service soon, so I I'll ask Honda to have a look.

In my case it's very intermittent, and it more then less has always happened on very cold
mornings with 0C or less, also it seems to only happen if I used the car the night before.

It's a wild guess, but I wonder if it could be some kind of condensation?

This is quite odd...

I pressure washed the engine compartment, after this the whine is gone. I can hear the turbo whistle but nothing else.
I have not had the car with Honda yet but I can't see any cracks/leaks etc.

The local Honda franchise was servicing the car today and they found no faults besides that the exhaust manifold was cracked (and will thus be replaced under warranty).

Perhaps it was that caused the whine/whistle (which strangely went away after I washed the engine including the manifold area)?

Could have been from the alternator or belt area which cleaned up when you washed it.