What's new

whistling at low revs

odbguy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord 2.0
It's mainly noticeable between 1 and 2.5k revs then not sure cos engine drowns it out but its making a whistling noise.
Is this normal?

I would say Guy it sounds like an air leak.Check all your air pipes and air filter and box for signs of a crack or split.

Do you have a aftermarket cone air filter?

Is it definitely coming from the engine, maybe post up a recording of the sound.

Like Brett has said probably an air leak somewhere

Also check all windows are fully up, I've had it where they haven't fully returned even though they appeared shut and had a whistling noise.

Or maybe it is just happy :( :

I presume there is no noticeable issues with performance ?

Hello

I would also check the exhaust system too for corrosion/damage as this can sometimes cause a whistly if there is a leak.

Other than that everything else has been mentioned I think

Lol not the windows. And as for performance I have an issue with the vtec at the moment, its not cutting in!
Il try get a recording up if I can pic up the sound. And check all the pipes, I'd say its defo coming from engine bay!

if you can guy get someone to rev the engine so you can get your head under the bonnet to pinpoint where the noise is coming from

Hey, after closer inspection iv found that the noises are coming from the cam belt area. Iv just this week had cam belt changed to ...
Will the belts just be bedding in or something or not fitted right??

Mine is doing the same and has just had cambelt and balancer belt done, I just figured it was a Honda noise.

I get a noise between 1K-2.5K, but I would describe it more as whirring than a whistle. It is coming from near the back of the engine and my initial thoughts are that it is the EGR valve either opening or closing or being somewhere inbetween. The intake/throttle body is back there also, so it could also just be some sort of resonance that occurs at that particular RPM range. Car is a SOHC 2.0 petrol auto.

Timing belt was done on my car 40K ago so doubt it could be that bedding in, never heard of them causing noise in any case.

Just resurrecting this thread for a minute.....

Did you lose the whistle noise in the end? I'm sure it is timing or balancer belt as mine's exactly the same after the belts were done a couple of weeks ago.

Does if go away or do I need the garage to recheck the tension?

Derek

Hey mate. Yeah it seems to have stopped just recently. Must just needed bedding in or sumits?!

I have the same problem with mine.
Been like that for the past 6 months or so after getting the belts/tensioners/waterpump done.
I have been back to the mechanic to get it checked twice now and he reckons tension etc is fine.

Out of curiosity did you use genuine belts and were they fitted by Honda?

I had a Gates kit and Blueprint waterpump fitted by a local mechanic.

I have the same problem with mine.
Been like that for the past 6 months or so after getting the belts/tensioners/waterpump done.
I have been back to the mechanic to get it checked twice now and he reckons tension etc is fine.

Out of curiosity did you use genuine belts and were they fitted by Honda?

I had a Gates kit and Blueprint waterpump fitted by a local mechanic.

Mine was a QH kit, fitted by independent garage. I did have an appointment to take it back in to check, but it's such a minor annoyance I felt like a bit of a fusspot! From past experience of such things, I usually find my hearing to be more sensitive than the mechanic's!