What's new

Whistling Noise

Mr Honda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Hi Folks,

I've had my Accord 2.0 since nearly new, (picked up an ex demo), and at certain speeds i can hear a whistle noise, usually at 2 specific speeds, firstly @ around 40mph (60 odd kph in Ireland) and the second time i'll hear it is at around 80mph (120 odd kph, speed limit here is 120kph). I have questioned this with the Dealer and kinda getting a runaround as a whislte noise can come from anywhere really, but at the speeds listed, if i lift off the throttle it will immediately stop whistling, so i'm thinking it's more mechanical/electrical than just wind noise.

Has anyone else come across this before?

I think the first thing to do is determine if it's wind noise or mechanical noise, try driving in different gears at the same speed and see if it occurs or just dip the clutch and let the revs drop for second.

If it turns out to be wind noise then I had something similar recently, it came down to a number of broken clips and tired foam strip on the plastic panel across the bottom of the windscreen.

Del

it sounds like a drive belt or bearing for the belt if its there under load.
or another thing check air breather pipes for splits or damage

Thank's lads, didn't think of driving it in a different gear, i can clearly hear it coming through the centre console which means upper section of the dash so maybe the wiper panel, how it would've gotten damaged though is beyond me?? I've given the bay a brief look over for anything loose but i'll check for splits or cracks and report back with findings if any :ph34r:

I would also inspect the exhaust system mate as I have had this problem on a previous car and it turned out to be a leak from the flexi hose on the downpipe. However you mention it only comes at certain speeds which leads me to belive it may not be this.

Also check that the airbox and inlet system is free from leaks etc.

Could also be a door seal thats not sitting properly.

I think its a case of checking under the bonnet for anything that looks out of place.

Hope that helps

Will check on these later, car's been serviced regularly and the noise has been there since day one (ish), so doubt it's the airbox, filter's been changed and that so it remains the same. Thank's for the input again lads.

My recently purchased 54reg tourer does something similar around 30/40mph. It starts whistling from somewhere around the windscreen wipers. Definitely not engine and it goes away as soon as you go quicker or drop a bit off the speed. I feel it's the wipers so my next plan was to going to give this a go: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3292-7th-gen-facelift-flat-wiper-retrofit/ . Wipers split anyway.

I have this noise also between 30-40 mph but only when climate control is on at a slow speed no noise when its switched off.

My recently purchased 54reg tourer does something similar around 30/40mph. It starts whistling from somewhere around the windscreen wipers. Definitely not engine and it goes away as soon as you go quicker or drop a bit off the speed. I feel it's the wipers so my next plan was to going to give this a go: http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/3292-7th-gen-facelift-flat-wiper-retrofit/ . Wipers split anyway.
Hi Tom i also have 54 plate tourer and have the same noise have just fitted facelift wiper and this has made no difference.I now think the noise is wind noise will remove grill at base of screen(once i can work out how) and see if there is anything there that it causing the noise.In the mean time if you work out what is causing it please let me know.Will keep you posted if i find anything.Ian

Just to point something out here, don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but the guys who are reporting the noise are all driving 2.0L Accords, maybe a coincidence, but equally may point to something that affects only the 2.0L.

Anyone had this issue with either the 2.4 or i-ctdi?

Only noise I am getting is the imminent early signs of new rubber being needed. No whistling.

Thanks dude, saw your reply on the other thread, this is an old thread now, so hopefully I won't have to have my windscreen replaced anytime soon, with my luck it'll be noise gone and leaks have started :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :p :p :p

Just to point something out here, don't know whether anyone else has noticed, but the guys who are reporting the noise are all driving 2.0L Accords, maybe a coincidence, but equally may point to something that affects only the 2.0L.

Anyone had this issue with either the 2.4 or i-ctdi?
yes, 2.4 tourer, noise at 50 then 80 take your foot off the pedal it stops?