What's new

White scratches by door handles

Mallo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX CTDI '06
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone has a product they would recommend : I think the previous owner had dogs and there are some white scratches round the door handles (nightfire black pearl car). I've tried using the black tcut scratch remover and after about 8 applications they have subsided, but are still visible. I've run my finger over them and there is no discernable deep groove, although having read around it looks like they are straight through the paint. Any other products out there that are better than the tcut or should I begin to think about touch-up paint? They are really thin, like a dog had jumped at the handle.

Thanks for any pointers

Simon

Try Bilt Hamber auto balm. Its great for concealing light surface deformaties.Apply in very thin layers with a few coats until the scratches are hidden,.

if they are still clear they may have gone through the lacquer? you could try what Saj suggests...may cover it..but we can't see the extent etc....you'll also have to keep replying after a while also.

Any pic's of the scratches ?

Megs scratchX is good, but you need to use a firm pad, but like Alnug has mentioned it may have gone through the lacquer.

All the scratch removal products take the edge of the either side of the clear coat of the scratch to reduce reflection and make the scratch less obvious, however as you have a dark colour, it maybe harder to do than with a light colour.

Otherwise get a Chips away sort of guy to give you a quote.

Or if you fancy having a go yourself and have the patience, then you could try touching them up, but not with the brush unless you can cut a artist brush to say 1 bristle. Try using a ****tail stick and magnifying glass. Also build up the paint in thin layers, so it is slightly raised.

Once you have touched the paint up it will be raised allow to harden for as long as possible, say a week if possible, dependent on weather, you then need to sand this down with the finest grade wet and dry, not for the faint hearted ! take note that it should feel almost as smooth as the reverse side of the paper Take you time and try to avoid the surrounding paintwork as much as possible. Perhaps try somewhere not so noticeable first and don't put pressure on. The very fine scratching should then be brought out with ScratchX. Polish it up and it should be hardly noticeable at all.

WHATEVER YOU DO AVOID TEMPTATION TO RUSH THE JOB, if you want the job done quickly then you need to get the pro's at it.

If there are quite a few then it maybe worth getting a quote for a panel re-spray

Well, I went for Meguires Scratch X2.0 in the end :-

Before :
IMG_0738.jpg

Then applied the scratchx 2.0, then meguires paint cleaner, meguires polish and a quick wax

After :

IMG_0739.jpg

I'm very impressed as I'd used t-cut colour restorer before which was rubbish.

Can thoroughly recommend Meguires products.

Looks the business - will see about mine - the doors are really bad...

Well, I went for Meguires Scratch X2.0 in the end :-

Then applied the scratchx 2.0, then meguires paint cleaner, meguires polish and a quick wax

I'm very impressed as I'd used t-cut colour restorer before which was rubbish.

Can thoroughly recommend Meguires products.

Well done Simon,

Did you use a firm pad or just microfibre ?

Looking at the picture it looked worse than it probably was i.e the scratches were not deep.

Bet you were well chuffed though and it probably took less effort than the t cut stuff (which I presume is in the bin now)

I used the small foam pad for the application (2 applications of scratch x) and just buffed with an old towel. I've got the bit between my teeth now so I'm going to buy some of their wax (don't have any Meguiars wax yet) and have read that the NTX is slightly easier to deal with than the carnuba stage 3. Next weekend I'll be doing the full monty as I've got serious swirl marks. Will obviously take before and after...

Hi friends. I have something similar on mine. On the drivers door mainly, behind the handle in the slightly recessed part of the door, there are lots of fine scratches. The best way to describe it is, it's like someone with very long nails was opening the door and left scratch marks behind. I was thinking about T-Cut, but it seems like there is a better solution. When time permits - I might give it a go. I will take some before and after pics for all to see.

Megs scratch X is the way to go, personally I find it better and easier with the foam pad.

Another point for Meguires Scratch X2.0
Used on my accord dark grey. works briliantly well!!!!

I am proud of my self B)

Thank you Meguires.

Worked well that stuff does. I use their ScratchX and Ultimate Compound which is very good for faint scratches.

last black car i had , had the same snag, i used "poorboys black hole" on light scratches, truly fantastic stuff, give it a go mate