What's new

why no 2.4s?

toffee_pie

Members
Reaction score
Car
Legacy 3.0R SpecB
seems to be about < 20 2.4 8th gens in the whole of the uk...

any reason for this or did they not sell?

seems to be about < 20 2.4 8th gens in the whole of the uk...

any reason for this or did they not sell?

I no mate its mad i think its down to high road tax and running costs.But also there are very few manuals there all auto boxes except mine ;)

probably because these days people are buying cars with boat engines in them (rhymes with weasel) :lol:

oh, and the boat engines in cars are fitted with turbos, so a car petrol engine also needs a turbo to compete, as N/A petrol cc-for-cc is less power AND less economy

high road tax, meh... try taxing a car in Ireland...

I still do mate, and they're loading it up more and more each year :( :(

How does the 2.2 type s fair out against the 2.4, there's oodles of torque in that machine :eek:

the 2.4 is fast, but you need to really welly it..

without getting banned it not really a viable thing to do. but its fast enough for sure, it can pass out most cars with ease but its a bit sluggish around town, its best on open roads.

with coilovers like mine got its really a cracking car, a long run down the country and some winding roads (preferably empty) and its a good outing indeed.

TBH petrol and tax are the only high running costs, when you compare 2nd hand purchase price, servicing and potential faults against the diesel version they are about the same over 3 years of ownership!

The road tax on the 8th gen is £260 per year but I think a facelift 7th gen is £400.
Guys correct me if I'm wrong about the 7th gen

£260 not bad at all. I thought it was higher tbh.
Also most people don't bother selling the 2.4 as they are very reliable motor.

The road tax on the 8th gen is £260 per year but I think a facelift 7th gen is £400.
Guys correct me if I'm wrong about the 7th gen
my 7th gen 2.4 was £270 in December (running from January 1st)

I think guys it's the late 7th gen that is on the £400 tax band

Yep so worth it sal for 200 bhp lol

*ahem* 198bhp? lol, Definately worth the extra if you can afford the fuel.

I think guys it's the late 7th gen that is on the £400 tax band
why would the 7th gen facelift be more than the 7th gen pre-facelift and the 8th gen ???

edit: are you sure you're not thinking of an auto ??

auto petrols tend to be about 50% more due to higher emissions

Accords are mainly bought as company cars, so diesel versions sell better, thats why not many 2.4s have been sold. Also fuel costs. Not convinced it uses a massive amount more that the 2.0 though, 5% more maybe?

my 7th gen 2.4 was £270 in December (running from January 1st)
my 8th gen 2.4 auto is currently £270 to tax. I,ve had 4 2litre accords of 4,5,6,and 7 gens plus 2 2litre preludes and none of them would do much over 30 mpg. this latest car 2.4 auto is averaging 35 mpg nearer 40 on long motorway runs ,actually better at steady 80mph than 70, possibly due to less transmission drag . If prospective purchasers knew the realcost of ownership as against the 2 litre car coupled to the extra driving pleasure of the bigger engine car maybe e few more 2.4,s would be sold in this country. people are very quick to dismiss bigger engine cars due to the relatively high running costs , but those same people probably think nothing of blowing all their savings on beer , clubbing ,take aways, meals out etc. somethings are more important to different people

Exactly Shrewed, couldnt have said it better myself.

I had a 2004 BMW 325Ci, was lovely to drive, lusty, and sounded great. Would do 40mpg on the motorway if you took it easy, more like 25mpg around town. Everyone thought I was mad, they were all chugging around in their tractors. It was cheaper to buy also, as no one wants big petrol engines. Maybe cost me £300 more a year in fuel, but was worth it.

People are too obssessed with fuel prices and road tax, they actually need to look at the whole picture, what do they spend their money on.

For example on the news there was a story about a family spending £70 a week on fuel, carting kids around, high fuel prices etc shock horror! Simple answer is, dont cart them around as much, they were off here there and everywhere, clubs, activities weekends away etc etc.

VED first year is more than following years.

Accord Tourer EX
2.2 i-DTEC Manual = £135 then £135 after that
2.2 i-DTEC Auto = £275 then £195 after that
2.4 i-VTEC Manual = £600 then £270 after that
2.4 i-VTEC Auto = 460 then £250 after that

According to Honda.

VED first year is more than following years.

Accord Tourer EX
2.2 i-DTEC Manual = £135 then £135 after that
2.2 i-DTEC Auto = £275 then £195 after that
2.4 i-VTEC Manual = £600 then £270 after that
2.4 i-VTEC Auto = 460 then £250 after that

According to Honda.
I don't "get" any of that (not disputing it, just seems loony) ;)

They do crop up from time to time but they seem to move on pretty quick.