What's new

Wierd Auto gearbox issues

Cheddars

Members
Reaction score
Car
2009 Astra Twintop
Hey guys, Having some odd issues with the slush box on my Honda, I've tried searching but cant find much.

First problem is when I've driven the car, stick it into neutral and it still creeps foward like it would in drive. I've managed to crash into the garage door a couple of times because of this B)

Second problem is the gearbox appears to be drinking fluid according to it's dipstick. I've had to put in 1.5 litres in the last couple of weeks (genuine Honda). Ffluid is a nice cherry colour as it should be and there are no leaks, it is bone dry underneath when using the ramps at work.

Other than that is can be a bit jumpy from 1st to 2nd, the rest of the gears are fine.

The car is a 99 2 litre Exec with 105k miles.

Any help appreciated :)

Is the gearbox oil cooler leaking? if not externally it could be mixing with your engine cooling water, check the water is it oily or red or increasing?

Just had a quick look, coolant is green / clear. Loks very clean, no oil or any fluids

You'd think putting that much fluid in would show up somewhere. There's not exactly many places it can go internally. And something is certainly misbehaving.
Degrease everything and anything the ATF would go through or near. It'll be a faff but might show up a very small leak in on of the lines that go to the rad.

These are fairly strong boxes and can do 300-500k miles easily enough with a bit of care.

Cheers Peter, I honestly don't know where the fluid is going either :(. I've had a look and cant see a leak, nothing left on the driveway either

Was a bit funny driving it this morning, seems to hold on the gears for a whlie before changing and the torque converter wasn't locking up on the motorway

I've ordered some more fluid so will give it a flush and see what happens

Certainly symptoms of a low fluid level/pressure. I'd be careful about driving it too much while things aren't working properly. Hopefully there's a cure that doesn't involve the sacrificing of chickens or the sale of bodily organs.

Had a trip to skeggy today, car ran perfectly, so think it's fixed itself. Wierdly it drives quicker with the AC on :ph34r: