What's new

Wind back tool. Explain the obvious for me please.

block

Members
Reaction score
Car
56 Ex diesel saloon
So I am replacing the rear discs and pads on the 4 door, so the piston needs to be wound back. Reading in the DIY section, Alnug shows a picture of the piston with the grooves horizontal to the caliper. If the piston is wound back, surely it cant spin when pushing the pads out as the grooves would also spin, unseating the pads that I presume have notches that fit the said grooves.
Also, do I need 2 wind back tools, one for each side of the car? Do they wind different ways?
I will order tonight Ultimax pads and d1400 discs from Camskill for a combined delivered price of £51.90. I thought this was very good. If I can get a deal on a battery I will be happy!

Cheers.

the pads don't wind back out when the pads are fitted so don't worry mate.
also you only need 1 tool and from memory you wind the piston clock wise.

This is the tool you need, its worth it for the cash - expect to pay double it in Halfords.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Re-wind/dp/B002V72SHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311329943&sr=8-3

The piston does rewind clockwise and the grooves do need to be aligned. The piston itself doesn't rotate outward, it acts like or is held by a captive nut as it spins on the screw mechanism. Car Mechanics magazine had a decent article on stripping dual purpose calipers in the May edition.

Andy

yep Paul your right mate lol

So I am replacing the rear discs and pads on the 4 door, so the piston needs to be wound back. Reading in the DIY section, Alnug shows a picture of the piston with the grooves horizontal to the caliper. If the piston is wound back, surely it cant spin when pushing the pads out as the grooves would also spin, unseating the pads that I presume have notches that fit the said grooves.
Also, do I need 2 wind back tools, one for each side of the car? Do they wind different ways?
I will order tonight Ultimax pads and d1400 discs from Camskill for a combined delivered price of £51.90. I thought this was very good. If I can get a deal on a battery I will be happy!

Cheers.

regarding the battery mate, i got mine from costco and it worked out cheaper than anywhere else, it worked out 75.00inc vat...

push in on the front.
members please do a search on these things as there is all the info on this already.

Cheers all.

Ukaccord I just spoke to cost co and they have a Bosch S5005 63AH with 4 yr guarantee for £63.58 incuding VAT. I might plump for that one.

Isn't 63 ah a little weedy? Or is yours a petrol?

Hi Dan.

Its a smoker. I read a thread and Pepster noted the numbers needed. Just re-read the post, and its for an older model and it could be a petrol car. So it looks like I was asking for the wrong one. Do you know what I need please?
Cheers

Have you spoken to your local Honda dealer parts dept?

I got a replacement battery from them for £66 for me diesel.

Hi Chris.

I got a quote at £66 also with a 2 year guarantee from local dealer. Bought a Bosch Silver S5007 from Cost co with 4 year guarantee for £72. Good price I believe. Not needing one would have been better!
Cheers.
PS. Just posting about headlight bulb replacements, help if you wish!