What's new

Winter or all-season tyres for G7 Tourer?

Deester

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 Accord Tourer
Hi all,

Just wondering what tyres others are using in the winter. We live on the coast in rural Scotland and whilst we don't get a ton of snow, when we do, the smaller
roads hardly ever get gritted and driving is pretty hazardous.
I have a 2005 G7 Tourer with 17" wheels and Toyo summer tyres which as you can imagine, are useless in winter. Debating whether or not to buy another set of
wheels with winter tyres (seen companies online that can supply rims and tyres ready to go) or to make the more convenient switch to all-season tyres...

Thanks in advance.

Start browsing ebay or facebook for something like this around your neck of the woods:

Start browsing ebay or facebook for something like this around your neck of the woods:

I have been scouring the usual sites, slim pickings up here, although I might have stumbled across a bargain set of Honda alloys (17 7J 55). Advert doesn't
mention which model/year they came from so currently checking with the seller to confirm they'll fit my car...

Hi all,

Just wondering what tyres others are using in the winter. We live on the coast in rural Scotland and whilst we don't get a ton of snow, when we do, the smaller
roads hardly ever get gritted and driving is pretty hazardous.
I have a 2005 G7 Tourer with 17" wheels and Toyo summer tyres which as you can imagine, are useless in winter. Debating whether or not to buy another set of
wheels with winter tyres (seen companies online that can supply rims and tyres ready to go) or to make the more convenient switch to all-season tyres...

Thanks in advance.

Almost all of my bad days have been down to others on the road, and one time I went into a boggy field to sort out some radio equipment of the local Ham club.

Can you find a set of chains for the front. It will work out cheaper if there is a mild winter (and you don't stuff the car into a ditch on the first sleet).

Used to run Winters but now tried Michelin Cross Climate 2 and love them.

Not tried in the snow yet but feel great in all other conditions.

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get hold of a cheap set of used 16" Honda alloys and will be having winter tyres fitted today (on a budget so went for
mid-range Kumho WP52 which were well reviewed on Black Circles). Never used winter tyres so it'll be interesting to see how they perform and also, how the
16" wheels compare to the 17" Epsilon wheels that are currently on it. Local roads around here are awful so I'm hoping the ride comfort might improve a little!

Local roads around here are awful so I'm hoping the ride comfort might improve a little!

Should be a little better with the extra sidewall depth if the correct tyre is fitted. I was running 18" with lower profiles but went back to 17" for more comfort.

I ran 16" with Conti TS850 on mine and was really happy with the grip and wear. I think some central europe winters are more dry road focused than pure snow winters.
I have also used a lot of the Nokia range over the years and have been happy with price/performance of them as well.