What's new

Winter tyres T H V speed rating ?

Zook31

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Exc i-CTDi saloon
Can anyone please tell me what Honda recommend for winter tyres speed rating as the hand book tells me nothing!
If you put reg details in my tyres.co.uk they list T - and H rated tyres for my car 2.2 diesel?
I am confused! Looked on website for insurance restrictions re winter tyres and it sayes manufactures recommendations
So what are they V-H-T
Most winter tyres are T or H rated Who is brave enough to drive at over 113 mph in the snow? Sebastian Lobe!
Any advice would be most helpfull

You will find most all insurance companies are ok with winter tyres no extra premium! :unsure:

Hi Woody, it isn't about how fast you'll be driving, it's about meeting the speed rating specified for your car as originally specified by the manufacturer (obviously none of us would even exceed 70 MPH ;) ). So it's a V rating for me.

Insurers used to be a bit odd about having winter tyres fitted, but I remember a few years ago the outcry over this led to them dropping the need for drivers to inform them... but maybe you should check anyway?

Hi Jon in my mercedes handbook it said winter tyres H rated summer V that was on 320 clk
V rated tyres are a lot more money H are good for 130 mph as you say speed limit in the uk
Is 70 I expect recommended speed rating is to cover driving in Germany on the auto bans ?

I think I will ring my insurance company to get a firm answer :eek:

I don't think the manual specifies a rating but instead tells you to put a reminder sticker on the windscreen if you get tyres that are rated lower than your summers. From what I've seen before, it seems that insurers aren't too bothered but if you get a reply let us know.

After many phone calls Insurance company say winter tyres ok no problem unless you change size of wheels then you have to tell them but
unable to tell me what speed rating I can use, next ring Honda They say you have to use V rated tyres so an extra £10 per tyre over H rated
So I hope this clears this one up and helps anyone wanting to fit Winter tyres!!! :unsure:

I've been doing some digging. The Motor Vehicles (Approval) Regulations 2001 (see section 16, Paragraph 7... "The speed capability of all tyres fitted shall be not less than the maximum design speed of the vehicle.") - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2001/25/schedule/3/made

Speed rating isn't just about the tyres ability to cope with high rotational speed, it's also an indication of the how well the tyres also cope with other forces consistent with the performance of that vehicle (e.g. cornering, braking). And insurance companies might well use under-rated tyres as an excuse not to pay out in the event of a claim by/against you.

Hi again Jon
ATS & Kwik-fit say it's OK to fit a lower speed rated tyre down from V to H they do it all the time as some sizes are not made in winter tyres of the speed rating required
also space saver tyres are only rated to 50 mph so if they are ok to fit H rated tyres are well up to the job! ;)
and at £30 less a tyre that's what she will get if it's ok for a Mercedes 320clk to use H tyres Honda will have the same B)

It's good to have it confirmed in writing! My insurer (L=V) are on the list, so thanks.

I still believe that you're bound by the speed rating requirement though.

Looks like V's then to be on the safe side :mad:

so there are a lot of people running Tyres with the wrong speed rated tyres on there cars :unsure: HOPE THEY DON'T CRASH IN TO ME THEN! :eek:

TOYO tyres are very good indeed

My tyres and Oponeo do some good deals on winters, and steel wheels if you need them.

My tyres and Oponeo do some good deals on winters, and steel wheels if you need them.

Thanks for that info I now have got 2 spare alloys thanks to a very nice man called Jon-G who is always hungry :rolleyes: as he dosent get fed propper food at home! :lol:
and i'm looking at some Mazda 6 alloys tomorrow as well!

Tyres on the way from OPONEO NOKIAN glad i ordered this morning they have gone up £8 :)

With winter tyres you can fit one speed rating less than the recommended. So a 16" tyre is usually V, which means you can fit a H. My insurance just needs to know but there is no charge.

With winter tyres you can fit one speed rating less than the recommended. So a 16" tyre is usually V, which means you can fit a H...
Can I ask how you know this? A link to something that can be quoted might be useful in the event of a dispute.

Any decent tyre fitter will tell you. Mentioned on the Dunlop site, number 3

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/I_want_new_tyres/winter_tyres/FAQs.jsp

Alot of the big garage chains and dealers also mention it such as Ford and The AA.

T is actually rated under a H. H is one under V ;)

http://www.goodyear.eu/uk_en/tire-advice/tire-information/tire-load-index.jsp

the ABI commitment applies

".....provided that the tyres meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the relevant vehicle manufacturers’ specifications...."

The 7th gen owners manual specifies V rated tyres.

With no exceptions.

Any decent tyre fitter will tell you. Mentioned on the Dunlop site, number 3

http://www.dunlop.eu/dunlop_uk/I_want_new_tyres/winter_tyres/FAQs.jsp

Alot of the big garage chains and dealers also mention it such as Ford and The AA.

(provided they are fitted by a reputable garage, and in accordance with manufacturers own specifications). Policyholders are still encouraged to check with their insurance provider. Honda say to fit V rated tyres. :unsure:

(provided they are fitted by a reputable garage, and in accordance with manufacturers own specifications). Policyholders are still encouraged to check with their insurance provider. Honda say to fit V rated tyres. :unsure:

I must read all posts
I must read all posts
I must read all posts
I must read all
I must read
I must
I :rolleyes:

Can I ask how you know this? A link to something that can be quoted might be useful in the event of a dispute.

Everywhere I look it tells me to manufactures specification and Honda hand book say V rated Tyres so how is it tyre fitters and the AA tell us it's ok to fit H rated tyres??? Honda also tell us to fit genuine Honda parts as we'll ££££ or visit your Honda dealer if you have a problem! :unsure: Must we do this as well?

I think if it went to court they would say H rated tyres are safe for 130 mph and the speed limit in the uk is 70 mph so they are legal to drive on!

But if you were driving on an autobahn on H rated tyres at 140 mph you would be braking the law? ;)

Just tell them Woody said it would be ok! B)

Fair play....but 1 less or 7, you're still driving uninsured.

You might be but I'm not and my insurance company have confirmed that in writing :)

Winter tyres have always come in a lower speed rating though compared to summer ones so they can't really refuse. Yes you can buy them in the correct rating if you choose to but it's not essential.