What's new

Wiper blade - replacing just the rubber

thedooor

Members
Reaction score
Car
Getz
Hello
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this, but the with the 2006 Honda Accord (FL) how do you remove the rubber from the blade to replace just the rubber.
Not sure where I'll get the rubber from yet, but I need to get it out to see what it looks like.
Have tried pulling it without any luck.

Thanks

Easier and inexpensive just to replace entire blade but should you go ahead and just replace the rubber only you can.Along the length of the top edge of the rubber there should be 2 aluminium strips that hold rubber to frame.Along this the steel is crimped over both at various points so you just need a pair of thin tipped pliers to bend each one away thus freeing it off.refitting reverse just recrimp but not too tight as it needs a little movement to flex as needed

Last edited:
I have done this. Replaced the rubber in Bosch Aeroblades with rubber I found on Aliexpress. It wasn't difficult. The end cover clips off the ***embly and the whole thing slides out as 2 spring blades and the rubber. But the rubber blades were crap. It made horrible wipers. I haven't been able to find quality rubber. We talked about it here: https://typeaccord.co.uk/board/thre...perience-in-silicone-blades.24982/post-257065

Even though one forum user pointed out that there are pins etc. that wear on wipers, this is not true for Aeroblade type wipers. There is only one pivot and it's not delicate.

I would do this again if I could find a good rubber or silicone blade. But while 20 years ago you could buy "refills", nowadays its all pre-***embled wipers or nothing.

A bit late, but I've just done this myself for my replacement 7th gen facelift wipers and for anyone else's future attempts to be environmentally friendly by only replacing the rubber.

The rubber wiper blade is cradled in individual plastic gantries/cages which are held in spring tension by two metal rods running the whole length of the rubber wiper arm that encloses it all. Gently pull one end of the rubber wiper arm outwards off the two metal rods (there are holes the rods sit in) and then rest under. The rubber wiper blade can then be pulled out and new one inserted.

(The OEM fitted rubber wiper blades have an extra wide top layer, above where the usual metal flats are inserted, but it's only decorative to make it flush though might help protect the metal rods from some water. Normal replacements are fine.)

If you mean the replacement rubber wiper blade - then just a standard universal 6mm or 6.5mm refill (though suspect 6mm are all just 6.5mm too) cut to size.

Yes that. No auto stores in AU sell just the rubber. Everything I found that sold as a "refill" had a metal or plastic backing holding the rubber, or was a complete arm. I had to look online and the only place I could find was with crappy cheap rubber that refused to flop properly and had the worst shuddery wipe I've ever experienced.

So basically: Where you bought them, do they sell online?

Last edited:
Just through ebay UK checking for a decent item description, brand (embossed on the rubber in photos perhaps) and/or reviews. You should reuse the metal flats from the old OEM blades for the correct length so just the rubber or silicone is needed. I'd bought 2x28"/710mm for £3.49 using one to fix my tourers rear wiper (plus a second spare rear wiper) before later fixing the front with the other one.

Checking ebay AU shows plenty (selecting show items in Australia only); try searching with "wiper blade refill universal" or similar.

Thanks for the info.

I did see the Ebay offerings, but the images on Aliexpress looked identical to me so I bought from there - and ended up with a poor quality rubber. I will look a bit closer and buy from an ebay dealer next time. Quite often stuff on Ebay and Aliexpress is identical. But you know, it's all buyer beware. It of course doesn't really matter on cheap items.

My concerns are mainly ecological. I find it a waste to throw out a perfectly serviceable wiper arm that only takes a little bit of skill to refit with new rubber. But like I said - in walk-in AU car product stores, dominated by only about 3 major chains, rubber only refills have disappeared from shelves.

The blades should be available from Honda dealers themselves, Part number 76632-SHJ-A11 for the 550mm and 76622-SLN-A12 for the 600mm version.