What's new

wobble sensation thro steering wheel

Simon2354

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer Type S
Ok so my pride n joy has developed another niggle....
After 91000 miles my 53 plate car has developed a noticable vibration through the steering wheel at 55mph + which is noticeable to the eye, however the car doesn't wander off course.
It seems worse on smoother road surfaces however it DOES vary - especially having done a 400mile + run over the weekend.
The intensity of the vibration remains constant even as the speed increases - this makes me think it is not driveshaft related as I've experienced that one so I know what to look for.
I've also had the front wheels re-balanced as I though I had shed some weights but this seems to have had little effect.

Should I...

Get a 2nd opinion of the wheels to make sure they have been correctly balanced?
Could I have a wheel bearing on its way? I have noticed a new "drone" sound but cannot pinpoint the corner of the car it is coming from.
I Have been advised by my local garage that there is a little bit of wear in the track rod ends but no play.
Would suspension bushes / steering rack be worth looking at?

Help please as my driving experience is being spoiled, especially as my wife (who is now main driver) thinks that we are going to have some serious failure of a major component! :(

Simon

Rotate your wheels. They could need re balancing or one of your wheels could be buckled. chuck your rear wheels on the front to rule out any potential tyre, balance or wheel issues. its free so no excuse not to give it a go

I've got exactly the same problem. I don't think it's the driveshaft/CV joint issue others have reported as it doesn't happen under accelaration, is only felt at higher speeds (in my case about 60+) on a light throttle. I've had new tyres, balancing, tracking all done recently and I suspect it's trackrod end, ball joint, or wheel bearing. Due an MOT soon so will get it checked then.

Check for a buckled wheel or an out of round tyre . I had the same problem with my Skyline and it turned out that the front drivers side tyre had a nice flat spot on it from new.

It does sound like a wheel balancing issue. Had the same problem when I got my new tyres fitted. The guy who balanced it was a total noob! (apprentice) so took it back and got all for re-done by the older guys and all 4 wheels was way off!

I would get them checked out again to be sure.

The "drone" sound could be wheel a bearing, but if your tyres are unequally worn on the front this could cause the imbalance and you would still have a wobble.
Found this out befroe through havin puntcures and havin to replace one tyre, budget at the time wouldn't stretch to a pair. :rolleyes:

Had the same prob with my accord, it was flat spots on my rear tyres. Put new tyres on the car and she ran smooth

The drone could more than likely just be down to tyre wear , I have the same problem although I did pin point it in the end to the rear tyres . I changed the fronts to the rears which made it slightly more noticeable on the front at that point then ran the car for around 1k then changed them back to front again . The noise stopped for a bout another 1k and has slowly been coming back as the rear tyres start to wear on the inner edges again due to the camber .

Swap front to rear and see if it makes any difference before spending anymore money matey.

Just to add to my last post I've owned many cars over the years of all different makes and models and I've never come across a car that is so sensitive to tyres and road noise as the accord is .

The road noise and the problems with drive shafts ( that wear in places you wouldn't expect them to ) really lets what is a fairly expensive car down.

Ok so my pride n joy has developed another niggle....
After 91000 miles my 53 plate car has developed a noticable vibration through the steering wheel at 55mph + which is noticeable to the eye, however the car doesn't wander off course.
It seems worse on smoother road surfaces however it DOES vary - especially having done a 400mile + run over the weekend.
The intensity of the vibration remains constant even as the speed increases - this makes me think it is not driveshaft related as I've experienced that one so I know what to look for.
I've also had the front wheels re-balanced as I though I had shed some weights but this seems to have had little effect.

Should I...

Get a 2nd opinion of the wheels to make sure they have been correctly balanced?
Could I have a wheel bearing on its way? I have noticed a new "drone" sound but cannot pinpoint the corner of the car it is coming from.
I Have been advised by my local garage that there is a little bit of wear in the track rod ends but no play.
Would suspension bushes / steering rack be worth looking at?

Help please as my driving experience is being spoiled, especially as my wife (who is now main driver) thinks that we are going to have some serious failure of a major component! :(

Simon

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.....I think the problem has been diagnosed :)
My wife took our car to our tyre fitter who jacked up the car and had fiddle...suffice to say the problem seems to be vertical play in the hock absorber ***embly = knackered ball joint!!! Cause - a perished seal causing moisture ingress & corrosion!

Awaiting estimate for work....

Anyone know a better price I can get get for the replacement part (HONDA part no: PFKL661917 ABSORBER ***Y., R. FR. SHOCK £210.29) as quoted on LINGS webpage.

Many thanks

Simon

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions.....I think the problem has been diagnosed :)
My wife took our car to our tyre fitter who jacked up the car and had fiddle...suffice to say the problem seems to be vertical play in the hock absorber ***embly = knackered ball joint!!! Cause - a perished seal causing moisture ingress & corrosion!

Anyone know a better price I can get get for the replacement part (HONDA part no: PFKL661917 ABSORBER ***Y., R. FR. SHOCK £210.29) as quoted on LINGS webpage.

Many thanks

Simon

Worth seeing what Holdcroft Honda can do for you

Many thanks

Simon

Just a thought....should front shock absorbers be replaced in pairs????? Answers please.

Simon

^^^Not necessary, but for peace of mind i'd only replace anything in pairs.

when it comes to handling parts e.g shocks, springs, anti roll bar links then yeah change in pairs in some cercumstances it can give you and unbalanced feel