What's new

Xcarlink installation error

Taffytim

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 2.0
I installed my Xcarlink yesterday and ran into problems when taking the big panel off, the one beneath the air con controls. Actually I broke both clips that hold it close to the top? What did i do wrong? Looking at my damage i cant see any way that i could have taken it off without breaking it??
IMAG0451.jpg

If it is the first time this panel has been removed it can be extremely tight. This is the 1st time I've heard of it being broken whilst being removed, and after removing the same panel myself and seeing how tight they are and how much the panel bends in the process, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

Best thing to do would be get a second hand one to replace it. When I put mine back in I put a little copper grease on the metal clips, this makes it a lot easier to remove in future if you need to.

If it is the first time this panel has been removed it can be extremely tight. This is the 1st time I've heard of it being broken whilst being removed, and after removing the same panel myself and seeing how tight they are and how much the panel bends in the process, I'm surprised this hasn't happened more.

Best thing to do would be get a second hand one to replace it. When I put mine back in I put a little copper grease on the metal clips, this makes it a lot easier to remove in future if you need to.

So what should i have done??

I tried pulling it downwards, sidewards, twisting it and all sorts. Even looking at the remains of my error i could not see which way it should have come out. The clips were in there good.

Thankfully now its all back together the glue has it tight in place and you could never tell what lies beneath :lol: :p :p :lol:

I just fitted my xcarlink this morning, i don't have nav so have the big cubby hole. It takes a hell of a lot of pulling to get that puppy out, more force than i was comfortable putting on a bit of plastic to be honest. It went back in no probs though!

When I fitted mine I slid a flat scraper in the side and prized the side up a bit to create a gap at the top, I then slid something in that gap too. I think I also got my fingers in between the top of the DVD drive and the dash trim. Then slowly worked at all 3 sides in turn to wiggle the trim clip out. There was a point where I nearly gave up because the trim was flexing a lot especially round where the clip was but I just kept applying the same pressure and with a lot of patience it slowly worked loose.