What's new

05 diesal tourer kangaroo's under hard acceleration

johnmaud

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord tourer
Hi all,

Had a problem with my diesal tourer the other day. I was pulling out of a junction and accelerated harder than normal to beat oncoming traffic when suddenly the car began to kangaroo and judder ( as if to much fuel or to little fuel ). I had to ease off the gas to stop the problem and keep the car moving. I have never had this problem before and the engine has been serviced at regular intervals. Its got 111,000 on the clock but runs sweet as a nut and idle is fine aswell. I was thinking of banging a good fuel additive in to clean the system. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

I had similar issues, Bleed the fuel filter everything seemed ok after that

Cheers for the reply satnam. I don't mean to sound thick but any chance you could guide me on how to bleed the filter. Its something I have never done before and dont want to worsen the problem.

Cheers.

Hi Satnam,

When you say bleed the filter do you mean drain the water from the underside of the filter or bleed the air.

Cheers,

John

John I do have the vsa switched on. Would the system give me the problem I had if it came into play. It was like someone had slammed the brakes on and off until I eased off the pedal.

Cheers,

John

Replace the fuel filter with a new part bought from the main dealer.

johnny199 said:
John I do have the vsa switched on. Would the system give me the problem I had if it came into play. It was like someone had slammed the brakes on and off until I eased off the pedal.

Cheers,

John

Cannot say for certain, but if you are now back to normal then it could have been, however the fuel filter could be the culprit. i REALISE THAT IN THE CIRCUMSTANCES YOU FOUND YOURSELF IN , flashing lights on the dashboard are the least of your worries. If the car drove normally after the event then I would suspect the VSA that is what it;s there for. Restricted fuel filter normally puts the ENGINE light on and the car will not rev above 2000 ish, This can be reset by switching off waiting a couple of minutes and then starting again, if the Em light comes up again and you cannot get revs then it will be the fuel filter.

Who did the last service where the fuel filter was changed?

I'm also sure that it's either an old or non-standard filter. It's self-bleeding once the engine is running... actually you don't even have to bleed it when you fit a new filter, but it does then take a few minutes of cranking to drag all the air through!

Hello lads,

Just to give an update on the situation. Had same problem today with vsa switched off so that has cancelled that out. Fuel filter that is fitted is not a genuine Honda filter and also the missus fueled up at local asda store which I have never ever done in the past. Always used a quality diesal up until then. Please advise on the following : shall I replace with genuine honda filter or I have seen that eurocarparts do a filter for £21.00 and photo on their website is bosch filter identical to genuine Honda type. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

John.

Do not buy an aftermarket alternative!

***uming your car is a pre-facelift, then you really must have a Bosch fuel filter with the part number ending in 442 (Denso filter if you have a facelift/6-speed model).

But do make sure that it comes from somewhere trustworthy to avoid getting a cloned part. The problem with ECP is that they reserve the right to send 'equivalent parts', so you could get something non-Bosch.

I don't think supermarket fuel does any harm... I've been using it for years without any problems whatsoever. It's the same as all the other non-premium fuels, so far as I can tell. They all have to meet quality standards in order to be sold to the public.

Thanks Jon,

Gunna order a filter from cox motor parts 'genuine honda parts dealer'. Its the best price I can find. Filter on their website is a bosch. Do you know if these guys are ok to deal with for genuine parts

I've never used Asda diesel and never heard anything bad about it, I have used Tesco diesel 3 times in 2 different cars and every time it made it run like cr*p - I've also heard anecdotes from several people saying the same thing. So my advice would be to use anything other than Tesco to fill up with diesel :D

And yes, get a genuine filter in there ASAP, have you phoned Holdcroft Honda to ask for a quote? They do discounts for forum members.

Cheers for that trev. I didnt know you got a discount there so will keep them in mind for future orders. Will let you all know what happens after new filter fitted.

John

Cox are absolutely fine. I've bought parts them in the past before I joined this forum and found out that we have an excellent arrangement with HH.

you pay your money and take your choice, but all THE FUEL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE!! Others would have you beleive differently, this hang up about "gotta have this" is all in the mind.

edgeoftime said:
THE FUEL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE!!
The base petroleum does yes, then different companies add different additives to it in order to make it into fuel suitable for an engine, so although Tesco get their petroleum from the same place as Esso, they add different things to it than Esso do. This is why Shell are the best as they're the only ones who add GTL product to their diesel, making it a much better product than anyone else. I don't know what Tesco add to theirs (diesel) but I've heard too many stories, albeit anecdotal, about it affecting how the car runs.

Cynical old me firmly believes that most of these 'additives' are put in purely for marketing purposes rather than for any real benefit.

You may be right, Jon, except for Shell - I'm fairly certain they are the only ones who source their base from outside the UK, namely from Pearl GTL in Quatar with whom they have a relationship and a hand in building the GTL plant there. I always use Shell Nitro+ VPD for this reason - petrol I'm not so fussy about and will fill up pretty much anywhere.

Jees I sound like a Shell employee! :ph34r:

Buy a genuine fuel filter from Honda and avoid all supermarket fuels.

Period.

To be fair, Trev made a good point about the Shell V-Power Nitro+ diesel having a significant GTL content... that is fairly cutting-edge stuff, but I still wouldn't pay extra for it. Maybe one day there'll only be GTL fuels for diesel engines when the oil wells run dry?

Apologies to the OP for the temporary derailment of this thread... we're just filling in time waiting for you to fit a proper fuel filter and then hopefully update us on everything being OK.

hello lads. just a quick update. filter received from cox. will be fitted tomorrow at 2pm so will update with result a.s.ap. cheers for all the help and info. it has been greatly appreciated. hopefully i get this sorted then try and get hold of a front passenger side window regulator. with a bit of luck that will be everything put right.

Hello Lads,

Update on the fuel filter. Genuine Honda filter was fitted and gave the motor a run down to york. Gave it some hard acceleration and no stutters or kangarooing. Fingers crossed it might have solved the problem. Even when I picked the car up from the garage it just felt differant when driving. Even used less juice during the trip to york than it normally does. Cheers for all the help.

John.

I've never ever seen this issue before.

Honest.

Lol after some 5+ years in this community can you really blame me if I get tired of stating the obvious!

Tuned an Accord this week for one of the techies at Arnold Clarke Manchester. It used to be a Honda dealer but now Kia.

Anyways he was telling me the importance of fitting a genuine filter as he himself once fitted an aftermarket filter and almost got rear ended whilst accelerating to overtake a truck and his car kangarood to a halt!!