What's new

05 icdti clutch problem/failure

knucii

Members
Reaction score
Car
'05 i-cdti
Hi all,

So it has been 14k miles since I bought my lovely pre-face lift 05 plate accord and today on the way to work I ran into some clutch problems (it now is at 114k miles and there was no service book so I don't know if the clutch was ever replaced) :((((. The clutch pedal stop properly doing its job did and once pressed down it would not properly come back up. luckily this started happening within 0.5 distance from my work and I was able to make it there by somehow engaging the 2nd gear.

I checked the clutch fluid levels and they are ok and there did not seem to be any leakage so I would say the fluid is still there. The fluid was replaced some 8k miles ago. I tried starting the engine and engaging the first gear: i pressed down the clutch pedal and slotted the gear OK but once starting to release the pedal it wasn't properly coming back up and then the engine just stalled ( I would ***ume the clutch engaged in full too suddenly)...

In either case I had the RAC come and rescue me. The guy asked me to hit the clutch pedal several times while he was looking at the clutch cylinder and then he pretty much very quickly identified that its the whole clutch that is at fault and needs replacing. He tried to explain what the problem was but me being me I didn not understand all too much...

So before I go and spend £1000 on the clutch change I thought that I'd come up here and ask for you opinion. Any help would be appreciated. I also know that the clutches of these accords fail in a different way so that is also suspicious. I just bought some dot4 and will replace the clutch fluid to see if that helps.

Cheers!!

OK so I replaced the fluid and it didn't help. If I push in the clutch pedal and release it quick it will come back to the normal position but if I push it in and keep it pressed in for a while it wont come back anymore. Could this be the slave or master clutch cylinders?

This might be the clutch release bearing that has gone.
But if it is then you might as well have a new clutch at the same time

Although it could still be the master cylinder. You're going to have to get someone who properly understands what they're doing to examine it.

Hey Ignas, is the pedal itself not coming up or are you saying that when you engage the clutch, it doesn't bite properly?

If it's the pedal, then that is either the pedal mechanism itself or most likely the master cylinder. If the pedal feels ok but you can't get it into gear properly, then it's likely to be a collapsed pressure plate or release bearing..

If I was you I'd get to a good independent does sound to me your clutch gone and dual mass flywheel I would also get your master/slave cylinder changed at same time I've been through this before with clutch & DMF . My ICTDI is now on 222k and drives better and smoother since had clutch DMF done, mechanic suggested changing master/slave cylinder at same time and I can not believe the difference in the feel of the clutch and gear changes think I had all done for about £700-800 you can't even get the clutch changed by Honda for that.

Hey Ignas, is the pedal itself not coming up or are you saying that when you engage the clutch, it doesn't bite properly?

If it's the pedal, then that is either the pedal mechanism itself or most likely the master cylinder. If the pedal feels ok but you can't get it into gear properly, then it's likely to be a collapsed pressure plate or release bearing..

It is the pedal that, once depressed and kept so a short while, loses the pressure and does not come back up anymore. It happened pretty quickly, maybe within 8 gear shifts, that the car became inoperable. Im really happy to hear that this may be the cylinder, my brother is of the same opinion. And btw
I've never noticed any clutch slip or anything alike so l was surprised when the RAC guy told thats the whole clutch needs replacing. I just got both cylinders and will have them replaced. Will update once done that next week.

A follow up!

So on Saturday I bought second hand slave + master cylinders from breakyard.com, both for 60+vat. The price was quite good, I would say, as these go for around 100 each if new. Anyway, parts arrived yesterday and not wasting much time I replaced the slave cylinder. it took quite some persistence and patience to change it as all the tools I have is a £15 gbp tool set from argos. The replaced slave cylinder didn't solve the problem, however.

So today I replaced the master cylinder. God, working in that confined space almost drove claustrophobia into me, what a disgusting job! Anyway, it took me about three hours to get it replaced. It was hell of a job to loosen and remove the 12mm upper nut.

9pERpwq.jpg

Once I managed to get the old part out and slot the new one it, while trying to fasten the same nut I lost it somewhere... up there...so had to go and find another one, but I lost that in the same place too. I couldn't find a third one, so unscrewed one of these bad boys:

qbDcBNf.jpg

In the end the new master cylinder solved the problem. I was literally shi**ing my pants out of happiness when I depressed the pedal and it didn't lose the pressure! The clutch works like new! so happy!

Many many many thanks to everyone for advice! And special thanks to my brother who guided me throughout the process on Facetime and pulled me out of despair multiple times! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so happy! won't be able to sleep tonight !!!

Wow awesome work there man!!

And even better that it was a cheap and simple fix ;)

God bless the RAC lol. They should stick to jump starting cars and towing them to garages :lol:

^+1 Well done mate. Its a great feeling fixing something yourself, top work!

Nice work mate. This looked like a seriously fiddly and awkward job so top marks for taking it on.