What's new

10w/40 Oil in 2.2 Diesel Accord - What Damage?

Motorhate

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord CDTI
Will 10w/40 damage my engine. I'm pretty sure during the last service that 10w/40 was put into the engine. The weather has been pretty warm so I'm hoping that the damage may have been limited. There's slight noise coming from the timing chain which i presume this the oil causing this (it was recently changed along with a complete engine refurb).
There's also an oil leak on the driver's side which I'm pretty sure is coming from the oil pump. The engine was recently rebuilt and the garage is aware of this. They think it might be a mis-match in the surfaces meeting which will require a new part (they're paying for it so no drama there).

So basically, what damage will be done to the engine with this heavier grade engine oil? Its been in there for about a month with roughly 250 miles being done.

It's a pretty difficult question to answer confidently, and there are many variables here including the fact the engine has been rebuilt.

Just get it swapped out for a decent fully synthetic 0w/30 asap.

It has done something wrong definitely, maybe not the engine, but the turbine, very high probability the chain suffered as well.

Oh gawd ... looks like I'll be busy at the weekend. New filter too I'd imagine as there's bound to be some residue 10/40 oil left in there.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

The 10W/40 won't have caused any damage as such but it won't have provided the same level of protection during start up from cold that the 0W will.

Yes get it changed but I doubt any noticeable damage will have been done in that short of time.

Wouldn't worry too much about the filter if it's new. Just swap out the oil.
I've topped up with 10w/40 before in an emergency and swapped it out that weekend.

When my car got a pinhole in a powerstering hose I had to to top it up with something in an emergency while my new hose and Honda PSF turned up. 5wt motorcycle fork oil was the closest thing I had in the garage, so that's what it got.
The wrong oil will always be better than no oil when you're in a pinch, provided it's a very short term use and you swap it back out.