What's new

15" or 16" Space Saver?

stuartmc

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer
I have been offered a 15" space saver from a Civic which I believe is the right 5-stud pattern but I am confused as some people seem to suggest it will fit my 2.4EX and some say not. If I got this would I have to fit it on the rear only so swap back to front if I got a flat?

I know there are a number of topics on this but they seem to be contradictory.

Thanks for the help.

I am pretty sure i have a 15" full size spare in my boot to be honest. It wont matter if its 15 or 16" as long as the rolling radius is the same. I.e smaller wheel bigger tyre wall.

Do some calculations.

http://www.club80-90syncro.co.uk/Syncro_website/TechnicalPages/TRC%20calculator.htm

Wasn't it something to do with having 17" rims over larger than standard discs at the front that necessitated the front to back swap (the rear discs being smaller). Or was it a facelift thing?
Can't find the thread just now. Perhaps someone will remember?

there seems to be a growing number of owners reverting back to the use of a spacesaver rather than relying on a can of "goo".

The 15" will fit the 2.0 if it's fitted with 280mm discs up front, but not the 2.4 petrol or 2.2 diesel as that has 300mm discs as standard.

For a 2.4 petrol you'll need the 16" rim.

So to summarise, I hope correctly, 15" fine all round on 2.0 but only for rear on 2.2 and 2.4.

Thanks for that everyone.

Yep, but just make sure the 2.0 you have is wearing 280mm discs up front as they all don't for some reason (I think although not sure, those cars with factory 17" wheels had 300mm discs).

Mine came with the 17" wheel option and had 280 discs :( so don't ***ume you have 300s if you do have 17" wheels. Best to get a tape measure out.

^^ Yep, but were your wheels added at the factory or afterwards mate. But totally agree, get the old tape measure out to be sure.

^^ Yep, but were your wheels added at the factory or afterwards mate. But totally agree, get the old tape measure out to be sure.

To be honest i don't know for sure. I ***ume they were a factory upgrade as they have a 17" wheel sticker on the door jamb for the PSI and they were Epsilons.

Having followed this thread with interest, I wondered if the (untested) eBay space saver in my boot will fit both ends of my 2.2 tourer, or if I'd have to do a double shuffle.
Unlike my road wheels there's no size information on the space saver, so I measured it.
17.25 inches (or there abouts), and to my surprise so are my 16" road wheels.
I have (naively) always thought wheel size was exactly that. Is it in fact the inner diameter of the tyre rather than the outer diameter of the rim?

Not sure I understand Matt, but wouldn't the inner diameter of the tyre be the same as the outer diameter of the rim? If not, how would the tyre fit on?

Not sure I understand Matt, but wouldn't the inner diameter of the tyre be the same as the outer diameter of the rim? If not, how would the tyre fit on?

I'm ***uming the 16" quoted on my sidewall is the bead diameter, which is smaller than the the edge of the rim, or the tyre would just fall off?