What's new

17" wheels and tramlining

800jimbo

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Sport CDTi
I have read a number of threads where people describe their cars tramlining, or weaving, or the steering being drawn one way or another, so basically tramlining. I found my car did this and it seemed to be getting worse and more recently could be a little violent if the depression was very pronounced. I've had the car for about 6k miles now and obviously it came with used tyres (which I noticed today were utterly worn out) but I've just put my first new set of tyres on the front and the tramlining has gone.

I had similar experience with a previous car where as the front tyres wore down so the tramlining would become progressivly worse, and the same seems to be true for my Accord.

Incidentally I had the tracking done with the new tyres but it wasn't so far out so I think it is reasonable to discount that as the cause, at least not in my case.

What tyres and tyre pressure U using?

I've changed from Bridgestone's Re 050 (tramlining was quite bad) to Michelin PS3 and it was quite an improvement. Almost no tramlining.

If the tyres happens to have stiff side walls + high air pressure. Then it's explained.

Aren't Penta's supposed to be prone to tramlining ?

It's not only Penta's, but it's just wheel and tyre size in general. I recently changed to 18's but fitted the oem lowering kit and it hasn't tramlined/weaved/pulled at all since!! :D

Quick update - I've checked the pressures all round and they are at 2.4 bar which is the same as what I ran the the old tyres at. So my conclusion from my experience from my tyres is that worn tyres tramline but the new ones don't.

I'll update again when my new tyres are worn as to whether or not these start tramlining.

If the tyres happens to have stiff side walls + high air pressure. Then it's explained.

Yep, I have cheap tyres with hard side walls and I run them at high pressures to reduce friction and get more from my fuel :blush: . Hence I tramline all the time, but I just take it as a given. I know if I put my hand in my pocket, put wicked tyres on at 33PSI and also maybe got a laser alignment just to be sure it would be fine.

The Accord is pretty fussy in this respect. It's really a case of spend the money and get the right outcome. There's no cheap fix on this one. I just live with it. The car has enough redeeming features that I can forgive it for the tram-lining.

By the way, what's the going rate at the moment for a laser alignment?

:)

To be honest the feeling of tramlining you get from your car will 9 time out of 10 be due to the pressures you're running. Unless of course you're running lightweight wheels. :( :( :(

Steve you must be careful when you take your car in for an alighment as some places will charge so much, usually £40 for a result, and then will charge you extra for any adjustments they have to make.