What's new

2.0 i-VTEC Petrol MPG

t sport 1978

Members
Reaction score
Car
EX 2.4 8th Gen
Hi all,

Have had the car for a few weeks and 2 tank-fulls later I am averaging 32MPG.

My driving requirement is about 50/50 urban/motorway

Getting around 440 miles out of about 60 litres.

Is this about right for the 2.0? What are you guys getting out of yours?

Thanks in advance.

thats really good MPG mate, I wouldnt complain... I have managed 550 miles on a full tank tho...

my last trip shows 743 miles and average of 38.5 MPG.... thats with 1 full tank and now on the second tank..

but as you have the 8th gen that 2.0 is SOCH and 7th gen is DOCH....

I would say that was about right. I get that combined when not driving like i nicked it. :D

EDIT: just realised yours is an 8th gen, Not sure what you should be getting seeing as mine is a 7th gen but i wouldn't expect much better seeing as your car is heavy'er. Dont go by manufacturers figures as they are optimistic at best.

thats really good MPG mate, I wouldnt complain... I have managed 550 miles on a full tank tho...

my last trip shows 743 miles and average of 38.5 MPG.... thats with 1 full tank and now on the second tank..

but as you have the 8th gen that 2.0 is SOCH and 7th gen is DOCH....

I would imagine on a prolonged run over long distant, I reckon it could do at least 40MPG (about 530 miles out of full tank).

Is the 743 miles trip in your petrol or diesel?

It is interesting about the use of SOHC on the R20, found a nice read here:

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R20A/index.html

I would say that was about right. I get that combined when not driving like i nicked it. :D

EDIT: just realised yours is an 8th gen, Not sure what you should be getting seeing as mine is a 7th gen but i wouldn't expect much better seeing as your car is heavy'er. Dont go by manufacturers figures as they are optimistic at best.

I have learnt that long ago Crespo! These EU figures are as true as a politician's promise :D

I base my expectations on the fact its a petrol and its 2.0, in my heart I have settled for a combined MPG of 30 to be 'acceptable for real life', so i am already winning with 32MPG. :p

I have learnt that long ago Crespo! These EU figures are as true as a politician's promise :D

I base my expectations on the fact its a petrol and its 2.0, in my heart I have settled for a combined MPG of 30 to be 'acceptable for real life', so i am already winning with 32MPG. :p

Yeah, Apparently my car is capable of 36 mpg combined. I cant get near that driving like a sissy. :)

That link above is a good read.

In short though it worth mentioning that a SOHC engine is more orientated to low down torque. One of the reasons why the 8th is SOHC is because it needs more low down torque to shift its heavy self about.

There is not major benefit for SOHC or DOHC any for's and against's are just swings and roundabouts really.

My 7th gen 2.0 tourer gets 33mpg average over the last 25000 miles. Basically it seems to get 33mpg no matter what I do - I've had highs of 38 and lows of 29, but it's very steady around 33. My previous mitsubishis while giving similar averages were much more variable tank to tank (24mpg to 50mpg (I cheated on that one)). My drive to work is 13 miles, basically comprising of several miles across town through traffic, followed by several miles across the peak district (ie climbing and losing ~800ft, twice over) and I do some motorway trips.

I am expecting to see an increase, however, as I've just fitted Pirelli P7 Cinturato tyres, which are very low rolling resistance, in place of my previous Goodyear Eagle F1, which are very high rolling resistance. The difference is hugely noticeable in general driving - previously if I backed off the throttle in one spot doing 75mph then about a mile later I'd be doing 55mph, whereas now if I back off at 65mph in the same spot, I'll be doing 60 a mile later, so I'm expecting to see this reflected in mpg figures to the tune of around 0.5mpg.

My 7th gen 2.0 tourer gets 33mpg average over the last 25000 miles. Basically it seems to get 33mpg no matter what I do - I've had highs of 38 and lows of 29, but it's very steady around 33. My previous mitsubishis while giving similar averages were much more variable tank to tank (24mpg to 50mpg (I cheated on that one)). My drive to work is 13 miles, basically comprising of several miles across town through traffic, followed by several miles across the peak district (ie climbing and losing ~800ft, twice over) and I do some motorway trips.

I am expecting to see an increase, however, as I've just fitted Pirelli P7 Cinturato tyres, which are very low rolling resistance, in place of my previous Goodyear Eagle F1, which are very high rolling resistance. The difference is hugely noticeable in general driving - previously if I backed off the throttle in one spot doing 75mph then about a mile later I'd be doing 55mph, whereas now if I back off at 65mph in the same spot, I'll be doing 60 a mile later, so I'm expecting to see this reflected in mpg figures to the tune of around 0.5mpg.

Tyres and tyre pressure definitely makes a difference, and it would be interesting to see how much it would improve yours by. Do post back!

I think 33mpg is very respectable...

Done my first long-ish distance run and have returned 41MPG with 4 occupants in the car, which i am happy with... My diesel Auris would get around 42MPG on the same journey and same load, go figure!

How many miles did you cover?

557 miles from 63.71 litres :)

I was being brave... started a 60 miles journey when the trip said i had 55 miles left... I drove like a saint and did the journey without any problems, it turned out that i had 1.29 litres left in the tank as the above stats suggests!

The trip is actually very accurate on the Accord, now i know to trust the mileage remaining figure :D

557 miles from 63.71 litres :)

I was being brave... started a 60 miles journey when the trip said i had 55 miles left... I drove like a saint and did the journey without any problems, it turned out that i had 1.29 litres left in the tank as the above stats suggests!

The trip is actually very accurate on the Accord, now i know to trust the mileage remaining figure :D

That is very diesel-like!!

And yep, I agree, the fuel measurements on the 8th Gen are very accurate - speaking of which - my tank is near enough empty. Im tempted to try and "best" your mileage by using the same amount of diesel!! :lol:

That is very diesel-like!!

And yep, I agree, the fuel measurements on the 8th Gen are very accurate - speaking of which - my tank is near enough empty. Im tempted to try and "best" your mileage by using the same amount of diesel!! :lol:

Your's a diesel?

If it is then it must easily beat that.

Hi All

I am on my second 8th Gen 2 ltr Petrol Accord both cars have given me 40 mpg on long runs and about 37 mpg local rural runs.

Hi All

I am on my second 8th Gen 2 ltr Petrol Accord both cars have given me 40 mpg on long runs and about 37 mpg local rural runs.

Welcome along Peter,

Maybe do an introduction and post some pics up of your 8th gen, in the newbie section, always nice to see new cars

Hi All

I am in awe of the Accord's economy, very impressive.

Half way through my latest tank and the trip reads 46mpg! Yes, all motorway but thats M25 and not exactly flowing traffic. It gets better every tankful it seems.

Just a little update.

Have had 5 tank fulls now since i have had the car and the running average is dead on 37MPG.

Bang on the money to the quoted combined figures, which is a first for any car that i have had, petrol or diesel.

Continuing to love the car, freeing it up a little more now and enjoying the various stages of this i-Vtec through the revs ;)

Sorry for the thread hijak but what are the real mpg figures for the 7th gen 2.4 as i'm looking to get one whilst the atr is getting tlc. Currently i manage 27mpg out of the atr doing my daily commute of a and b roads to work of 15 miles a day. On the motorway i maxed 37 mpg driving like a granny

I would think it the same or slightly less with the 2.4.

7th gen 2.0 auto getting an average of 27mpg running around the doors! On an 08 plate.

My theory is "drive it, fill it and enjoy it!"