What's new

2.2 i-DTEC Auto MPG!

Staddly

Members
Reaction score
Car
8th Gen 2.2 Tourer
Just completed my first couple of months of ownership and have done a few fill ups and to my surprise I seem to be returning around 36 mpg. I know autos will be lower than manuals but this seems a tad on the low side.

Any thoughts?

Probably 70% motorway, 30% town

thats really bad, have you this serviced? i would imagine the mpg should be upwards around 50-55mpg..

that is almost like a 2.4 petrol.

are trip computers that bad?
I can't comment on the 8th gen Accord, but usually they over-read... which would obviously make this situation even worse. Best to accurately measure mileage via GPS/nat-nav and work it out manually if there's any concern over MPG.

An auto gearbox will hit the economy, as will the DPF.

That sounds about right for an Auto box.
The best you will probably get is about 40 mpg

i dont really bother with mpg, i just fill my tank each time. I worked it out about 22-25mpg around town, and about 35-38mpg on long runs.

doing 70% motorway i would expect about 27-30mpg

Tha manual box is very good indeed.
You will be looking at the low 50 mpg

I had a loan 2.2 auto whilst my 2.4 manual was serviced a couple of years ago, I was shocked to find the diesel auto had the same mpg as my 2.4 on my daily commute. 35mpg does sound about right.

What speed are you doing on the motorway? Im sure if you stuck to 70mph and used the real time mpg bar you should be seeing 40-44mpg.

Auto Box Saloon
Fuel consumption (urban) 34.9 mpg <--round town / 80+mph motorway?
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 56.5 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 46.3 mpg <-- Motorway/ long runs @ 60-70

Manual Sallon EX
Fuel consumption (urban) 38.7 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 58.9 mpg <-- I got 56mpg on a 70 mile trip to machester @ about 70mph
Fuel consumption (combined) 49.7 mpg <--Im getting this going to work. It would be slightly higher if there wasn't road works

Figure calculated manually, trip shows 32.5.

It's due a service soon so will see if there is any difference as I know oil/filters etc have some effect.

Motorway is normally around 80.

I didn't get it for economy and I don't drive like a grandad just yet but I admit I was expecting around the 40's. No bother if not - love the car!!

Id say you mpg is right then.

I would next check your tyre pressures and maybe set them to 34psi all round and make sure your oil is 0w30 too. Other than that I can only think of very spirited drive (Max rpm) on the motorway to make sure the dpf is cleared and any unnecessary ***** blown out.

As long as your enjoying the car thats the main thing ;)

I've had my 2010 2.2 diesel auto for two months now and done approximately 3,500 miles. It appears to be doing at least 40mpg when knocking around, and this goes up to about 48mpg when cruising at approximately 75mph.
I have a number of quibbles with this car but fuel consumption and the excellent autobox are not among them.

Just completed my first couple of months of ownership and have done a few fill ups and to my surprise I seem to be returning around 36 mpg. I know autos will be lower than manuals but this seems a tad on the low side.

Any thoughts?

Probably 70% motorway, 30% town

This won't help much but here goes: I have an 08 Accord EX automatic not diesel. Generally pootling about 37 mpg but on a twice weekly 12 miles mainly motorway return can get up to 43mpg by keeping down to 70, which I think is amazing. I know that when I do much longer drives in France on Autoroutes I can do better than that.

Just amazing engines, if only it didn't have sports suspension as standard. Completely half-witted as in the UK it is simply uncomfortable, whereas on good roads in France it is fine.

Regards to all

Yep the 2.0 petrol can return some good figures on the motorway, mine can do mid 40s mpg of I take it easy.