What's new

2.2 i-dtec cut out tonight

csak1981

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Tourer 8th Ge
Approaching set of traffic lights to turn right tonight in third decelerating then on part throttle and noticed no power. Junction ahead cleared at that moment and tried accelerating more and revs dropped way down then engine cut out. Managed to free wheel around junction and pull over noticed dash displaying battery icon before i turned key off.
Car restarted fine and drove perfect for the 45mins i was out. Was motoring battery voltage through a dash mounted voltage display throughout the drive and was fluctuating between 13.9v and 14.2v which has always been normal for my car since installing it 3 yrs ago.
No engine light showing and checked for codes with torque pro.
Going to hook up my hds tomorrow to check other ecus in car as torque pro only checks engine ecu.
Anybody seen this before.
I'm a bit concerned if this happens again on the motorway

Not on a Honda, but I recall similar issues when working in recovery with Audi A3/A4 and A5 TDIs of the era.

Something to do with the secondary wiring loom covering the Siemens fuel injection system though this link also mentions the injector itself on a later A1 where the insulation is starting to fail.

Some customer scares as well (and one shunt) since both the power steering and servo braking disappear shortly after the engine cuts out.

Not on a Honda, but I recall similar issues when working in recovery with Audi A3/A4 and A5 TDIs of the era.

Something to do with the secondary wiring loom covering the Siemens fuel injection system though this link also mentions the injector itself on a later A1 where the insulation is starting to fail.

Some customer scares as well (and one shunt) since both the power steering and servo braking disappear shortly after the engine cuts out.

Had a read and thanks for your insight but as you say that's not honda so good chance my problem isn't that. Pretty sure we've not had issues like that with this injection system on our Hondas.

Plugged hds in today and it's showing nothing. Drove fine today same journey so just going to drive to work this week staying away from motorway see what it does. Once weather clears I'll be checking all earth connections and I'll be wriggling cables with engine running to see if it cuts out. Will check the injector cables also.
Also be pulling all relays and cleaning with contact cleaner.

You need to identify the reason why the engine cuts out on deceleration, on a diesel there are very few instances where this can happen, almost all are related to fuel through the pump to the injectors.

The engine decelerated normally whilst approaching traffic lights it was only initial pickup when applying throttle that I noticed things going south. I applied throttle and there was a bit of jerk then nothing happened so supplied some more and still nothing so revs started to drop with car slowing down.

I'm pretty sure i dipped the clutch near idle revs to stop a stall as I was still in 3rd but revs went down past idle to zero with engine now cut out.

It's been absolutely fine since, I even went to the same set of lights yesterday to replicate the whole thing.

Also HDS showing nothing so I've nothing to go on other than driving it and see what happens I'll be staying off motorway for now, hopefully a one off.
If it does it again I'll start investigating bad connections

Two years on its happens again on motorway but luckily i was in the morning sludge traffic and right next to hard shoulder downhill and managed to come off at next slip free wheeling. Still had power steering.
Managed to restart again with no engine light and got myself to work and back home again.
I've worked out that the battery light coming on along with oil pressure light(which happened the first time bit forgot to mention it) is not down to not charging.
The key is in the ignition position when it cuts out. If you go to ignition position before starting and after all dash lights extinguish the battery and oil pressure lights remain on which is meant to happen.

My main chassis earth to engine block i noticed was badly corroded and frayed a few months ago it caught my eye whilst under the hood checking fluids and general checks. I ordered s new genuine oem from megazip part sent from Japan way cheaper than dealer. I've just not got around to fitting it yet so I'm wondering if it is related to this degraded earth connection.

The cable is around 17 inches long but they have only insulated it from the factory with conduit piping and a few wraps of what looks like electrical tape but leaving the last 4 inches exposed as bare copper. I think it's designed to give up eventually so I'll be wrapping some electrical tape then smear some silicon over it before installing unless someone can chip in with a good reason as to it's been manufactured this way

It does sound electrical based on that, and a corroded earth is a very plausible likely cause.