What's new

2.2 i-dtec starter

Mandzhalas

Reaction score
Car
Mk8 2.2 diesel
Hi guys,

my 2009 2.2 i-dtec engine clicks once when i try to start the car.
I have narrowed it down to a starter motor. I had a look around the engine, but can't see where the starter is located. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Also, is there any guides available how to replace one?
Thanks

Agree. How have you narrowed it down exactly?
I have inspected battery condition indicator window, it was green which means battery ok. Also switched on headlights and they where ok. Battery is 6 months old

That probably indicates the battery is okay but I'd still want that confirmed before I started digging around, lots of places will do a free battery health check even if it's a simple meter check to check the voltage level and whether your charging circuit is working but ideally you'd want a load test. I don't know the mk8 but starter motors almost always situated in one of two places, either side of the bottom of the block nearest the bell housing where access is usually better from underneath the vehicle.

Gen 7 starter was at the front of the engine down low but the 8th Gen has a reversed layout because of the DPF at the front, The starter is at the rear of the engine so access will be from below, you will have to remove the plastic undertrays to access it correctly. Two long bolts hold it in. It looks very similar to the ICTDI versions.
This is ***uming yours is a manual transmission.
I would check the wiring to the starter first, make sure all the connections are sound and have no corrosion on them, open them and clean them with a scotchbrite pad or similar to make sure they are clean and remake the connections all the way back.
Use vaseline or better still silicone electrical paste to make sure they are not going to corrode again.
Its sounds to me like a voltage drop through wiring but I don't know how many miles are on your car so it may be the starter.

I’m ***uming you’ve tried jump starting the vehicle with leads on another diesel car with its engine running? If so and you still have the same issue then yes it could well be a jammed starter.

you cannot rely on the battery indicator, just one weak or dead cell will cause this issue but still give a green indicator.

I’m ***uming you’ve tried jump starting the vehicle with leads on another diesel car with its engine running? If so and you still have the same issue then yes it could well be a jammed starter.

you cannot rely on the battery indicator, just one weak or dead cell will cause this issue but still give a green indicator.
Hi, yes have tried jumpstarting with leads, no difference. Have got starter delivered, but not sure if possible to replace using jack stands only, as by the looks of it, it has to be accessed from the bottom of the engine and may require a lift

I wonder if it can still be removed without the exhaust having to come off. Can imagine having trouble with exhaust joint bolts on some cars

Have you tried car in gear handbrake off, and push to jerk the engine over? no ignition on though or you may have to chase after it.