What's new

2.2 Oil Comsumption

Conor1

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 I-CTDI
Hey guys,

Bought my 2005 2.2 about 1 year ago, the first few months not a drop of oil was used, then all of a sudden it just seemed to turn thirsty.
I had the car serviced 4 weeks ago, covered nearly 2k miles since then and it seems to had drank (or leaked) the best part of a litre of oil.

Using 0w30 castrol oil, was serviced with genuine parts.
Getting new disks and pads all round in a few weeks, worth having it checked over for a leak?

I have a bit of blue smoke from time to time on a cold start, but other than that no noticeable smoke.
Majority of my miles are motorway miles which would be the main difference as it was previously used for city driving the first lot of time owning the car.

Any thoughts?

They all use oil, even though sometimes it looks like they don't. Less than a litre in 2k miles doesn't sound massively out of the ordinary. Look out for stains where you park but otherwise just keep an eye on it for now IMHO. And needless to say keep it topped up.

Blue smoke isn't good. You may have worn turbo seals or worse a piston ring shot.

Could also be worn valve stem seals but if it's not getting any worse and you can live with it the cost of the odd litre of oil would probably be a lot cheaper than a repair.

I say blue, it's got a slight blue tint and it's not every start up, or even every cold start up.
Most of the time there's nothing.

I just ***umed it was wear and tear on the turbo, and perhaps the same for why it's chewing oil lately, as I've bee doing 2 x 200mile motorway journeys most weekends and that's what had been drinking it.

I'm probably going to bring it to a local Honda dealer either where I am now, or back home as they were really helpful with my manifold.
Should I have they try to diagnose the issue? As I said, the odd time it's a puff of smoke on startup with a slight blue tinge to it.

For me it's hard to tell the colour but can you smell burnt oil in the smoke or is it more just dieselly?

Hey,
There's really not much of an oily smell off the fumes, not overly diesel either.

The ignition at times seems to 'choke' which is the best way to describe it, its normally only of it chokes will it spit out the smoke which I ***ume the choking in oil entering the combustion chamber and literally choking the ignition.

I actually rechecked the oil, I was parked on a small gradient. It had only used about half a litre or less over 2k miles so its consumptions not overly high.