What's new

2.2ictdi lack of power at low revs and up hills

N4V3

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 ex ictdi
Hi I have noticed very severe engine performance loss especially at low revs up to 2000revs and struggles to go uphills . I want to get my engine back normal any advice I would appreciate kind regards

Needs a proper diagnostic session, could be faulty egr, injectors, turbo..

Needs a proper diagnostic session, could be faulty egr, injectors, turbo..
Thanks for you advice I have a xhorse Hds diagnostic cable and have checked on hds software for dtc codes and have taken photos of the read out then cleared all codes but still problem persists with the car feeling very sluggish in power and acceleration especially uphills I'm thinking of taking off the cat to see if that helps I would appreciate if I can decat and remap stage 1 to bring life back to the car as I'm quite stuck thanks again for your advice in the forum

Don’t decat it, that won’t help with anything and only make the car smelly and smokey. You need to run some live engine tests and try and isolate the problem.

I would add dirty/diesel bloom to the list, and possibly the camchain may have slipped a tooth up top

What is the current mileage and when was the last service carried out ?

I would add dirty/diesel bloom to the list, and possibly the camchain may have slipped a tooth up top

What is the current mileage and when was the last service carried out ?
I am not sure with the exact engine mileage but should be under 100k as it was a new engine at the time and in regards to servicing I only service with genuine filters and good spec oil 0w30 I'm due to do a oil change air and oil filter but not due at the moment

I am not sure with the exact engine mileage but should be under 100k as it was a new engine at the time and in regards to servicing I only service with genuine filters and good spec oil 0w30 I'm due to do a oil change air and oil filter but not due at the moment

A replacement engine, do you know why the old one failed ?

A replacement engine, do you know why the old one failed ?
Yes due to turbo starvation I had a replacement engine from a 2009 civic with 1500miles on the engine I learnt my lesson the hard way and now care more for the engine and give regular oil changes, the car could have shorted out sensors which is causing the lack of performance I would like to diagnose and restore it back to how t it used to be and that's quick

Hi,
I know I’m new here so please be gentle!!!
Have you checked the simple things like intercooler, hoses etc.
Mine had a small slit in the back of the one of the hoses and it would do strange things like loosing power at low revs or if going up hill especially when accelerating.
Good luck.

If the engine has been out then it’s quite possibly some incorrect installation, and could very well be a kinked intake or boost pipe. Carefully inspect all the vacuum hoses controlling the egr, intake and turbo solenoids. And also remove your airbox and check the pipe work from the airbox to the turbo, and the intercooler pipes.

The engine was installed many years ago and was running fine till now I don't know if the intake is clogged up with diesel soot or the exhaust manifold which will be a pain to take off also I don't know if its symptoms of a dying turbo I need to make sure as I can source the parts needed . Driving the car feels like it can't breath and really have to have foot down to floor at all times lol there is abit of soot that comes from the exhaust from harsh acceleration otherwise the car will go slow if I keep my revs above 2000 rpm the its better but at low revs its so slow even lorries are overtaking me any help would be appreciated

What more help do you need, I’ve already given you some pointers. Do the checks and see what it reveals.

suggest you also make a small metal blanking plate and fit it between the egr and intake manifold to see if that restores power. If it does, then you know your egr is at fault.

What more help do you need, I’ve already given you some pointers. Do the checks and see what it reveals.

suggest you also make a small metal blanking plate and fit it between the egr and intake manifold to see if that restores power. If it does, then you know your egr is at fault.
Thanks again for your knowledge I appreciate all the advice given ,I hooked it up to Hds software and tested the fuel pressure rail and turbo boost pressure and the test came up as the turbo boost pressure is out of range I'm thinking maybe my turbo is dying as there's not much torque during driving

Ok that’s a good start. Check that your boost solenoid isn’t simply broken. It’s very common for them to break the little black diaphragm which regulates the vacuum pressure. If your car is a 2006 onwards then your egr and boost solenoid are interchangeable so try swapping it over and testing again.

Thanks for your expertise I have removed the EGR and put a blanking plate in between the intake and EGR . Good news is that it has restored power , I drove the car around the block up hills and ghe power was back later on the engine management light came up after about 5 min of driving then restricted to 2000rpm . Is it possible to clear the engine management light permanently many thanks again

Yes it needs a remap to permanently close the egr, I can tune it at the same time. It’s pretty standard work for us. Drop me a line for pricing.

Yes it needs a remap to permanently close the egr, I can tune it at the same time. It’s pretty standard work for us. Drop me a line for pricing.
How do I contact you F6HAD kind regards