What's new

2.4 buying tip.

t sport 1978

Members
Reaction score
Car
EX 2.4 8th Gen
Hi all,

I have been away from these forums for a while after having gone back to Toyota for the past 2 years, but now I am on the market again since becoming a dad since last October and needing something with a mega boot (i.e estate). I had a really good experience with my gen 8 EX and I have found a nice 2.4 EX at a Honda franchise which I am considering. Wondering if you guys could give some advice on choosing a 2.4, what to look out for etc... It is an auto as well, any issues there?

Thanks in advance.

If you've not seen a boot in real life on wagon I'd suggest going to look at one. Golf clubs won't fit sideways :-( without taking larger clubs out, yes I know before anyone says anything about golf ruins good walk etc :)

I didn't really do that and it isn't big enough for my needs, a lot smaller than 7th gen. Mates Octavia is bigger and fits a lot more in

Depends what you want to fit in it though really

Lol no way must be photo shop :)

I can get my carry bag in with side pocket out but you can only get one bag in like that, no way they will fit behind back seat

To carry 3 I put net up and stack them high with long clubs out of bags :)

Hi and welcome Des.

Lovely car the 2.4, I've got the 2.0, sometimes wish I'd waited for a 2.4. My auto does about 34mpg around town, and 40mpg on the motorway if you cruise around 75mph, so the 2.4 might be 5% less than that, not too bad for almost 200bhp.

As Lee said check its big enough for you, its a lifestyle estate, not a proper big estate car, like the van shaped 7th gen Accord. Suspension intrudes into the boot a fair bit. Also check your child seat fits with your seat adjusted, my little one is 2 and already kicking the back of my seat, in her forward facing child seat.

Check its got service history, all the books and 2 keys, sat nav disc, check the windscreen trim recall has been done. Road tax is £280 also.

If its this blue one, check it in the sunlight for fine scratches and any mismatched colours might have had some paint....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201408156626982/sort/default/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/body-type/estate/maximum-age/up_to_6_years_old/make/honda/page/1/radius/1500/usedcars/transmission/automatic/fuel-type/petrol/postcode/gl31nw/model/accord?logcode=p

I've had an interest in the 8th gen and still do. Its a very much 'safe bet' choice and should be as reliable as anything in the market really.

From the advice I've been given on here the 2.4 is an excellent engine as far as reliability goes. No issues with the auto box either. Basically a damn good car of which should have sold in far higher units. Top seller in the USA btw.

I think the only thing to look out for on the EX model is the sunroof, which can suffer from corrosion issues. It won't leave you stranded but apparently costs a few hundred quid to put right.

Forgot about that Adam, good point, open the sunroof and check the metal frame around the glass panel for rust, fold the rubber seal up etc. A Honda dealer should be able to get this changed under the rust warranty.

Thank you all so far and I am also dubious about the fitting in of the golf bags!!!

Richsprint - Thanks for the information and confidence, and you have found the exact car that I am considering. I am well aware of the boot size (406 litres) which is not big by any means never mind for an estate, but coming from an Auris Hybrid this is a VAST improvement. I am buying more for the car itself, the 2.0 EX saloon that I had was excellent and have always said to myself would return to an Accord one day. As for this car, what makes you think there has been some paint work done?

Stonesfan - The little information that I managed to find regarding the K243Z engine is that it has a VCT actuator that is prone to give way which potentially could wreck the engine and a very hefty bill. I was hoping for someone on these forums who might be able to shed some light on this matter for the UK market. As for the sun roof, I would definitely check it out thoroughly if I was to view it.

Not heard of actuator issues myself, interesting

I'd have gone for 2.4 now, good choice Des

Diesel just isn't worth it mpg wise, I only get 38 on a steady run to work

I will get 100 miles more on a long run but how,often does than happen

Great car and I have had very few issues with mine.
The only thing I would say i would have a manual over an auto all day long.

t sport 1978 said:
Thank you all so far and I am also dubious about the fitting in of the golf bags!!!

Richsprint - Thanks for the information and confidence, and you have found the exact car that I am considering. I am well aware of the boot size (406 litres) which is not big by any means never mind for an estate, but coming from an Auris Hybrid this is a VAST improvement. I am buying more for the car itself, the 2.0 EX saloon that I had was excellent and have always said to myself would return to an Accord one day. As for this car, what makes you think there has been some paint work done?

Stonesfan - The little information that I managed to find regarding the K243Z engine is that it has a VCT actuator that is prone to give way which potentially could wreck the engine and a very hefty bill. I was hoping for someone on these forums who might be able to shed some light on this matter for the UK market. As for the sun roof, I would definitely check it out thoroughly if I was to view it.
Hi Des,
Dont know if it has had any paint, but view it in the sunshine and check all the panel colours match, doors etc. Also that colour is dark and high gloss, so check its not covered in car wash swirls, or you'll probably have to budget for having the paint machine polished and corrected at some point, if that sort of thing bothers you...lol
Front bumpers seem to chip a lot on these 8th gens also.

impne said:
Not heard of actuator issues myself, interesting

I'd have gone for 2.4 now, good choice Des

Diesel just isn't worth it mpg wise, I only get 38 on a steady run to work

I will get 100 miles more on a long run but how,often does than happen
Not aimed at you Lee, so dont take it the wrong way.

Yeah I dont know why people bother with modern diesels unless they do mega miles, I get 40 mpg out of my petrol at 75mph, its an auto too.

Plus all the potential DPF problems.

As a petrol head I just cant stand driving a tractor. Only thing that would change me was if I was driving mega miles each year.

Although some of the 6 cylinder diesels sound almost as good as a petrol.

I know what you're saying and agree after having owned this one

I guessed 8th gen would be as good as or better than 7th as you'd expect engineering to get better but I got way more from the 7th

The 2.2 is a shocker of an engine in my experience of them

careful-now2.jpg

I'm very interested as to how the 8th gen 2.4 compares with the 3.0 in my Coupe as far as:

Performance
Economy
Smoothness
Engine noise.

Would expect the higher tech to edge it in every area apart from smoothness maybe. Anyone had a v6 coupe and moved to an 8th gen 2.4?

I feel very strongly about NOT buying a diesel, the whole DPF and EGR failures of diesel is a big put off for me. I have personally been through these problems with a Toyota T180 2.2 diesel and I have vowed to never buy another diesel until they change the fundamental design of modern diesel engines and the various filtering/emission control systems.

As for this car, unfortunately, I have decided against this particular one as I have been told of various problem with it. Even though it is from an official franchise, and that the problems would be fixed, I just didn't feel enough confidence for this car.

I will carry on looking for one of these but perhaps in manual, the Accord estate is definitely in my shortlist anyway.

If you can find one in a manual it will be worth the wait IMO.
I waited 6 months to find mine as there are only a handful in the uk.
If you keep to the speed limits on a run I have had up to 43 mpg going to my dads at South Shields a 300 mile drive one way

I would check the clutch - sniff for a burnt clutch, cheek for slippage. Other than that 2.4 is a wonderful machine.

I've had both a 2.4 and a diesel 8th gen and can say by far the 2.4 is the one to go for. I got nearly the same mpg out of the 2.4 as the diesel, with the diesel it's low 30's mpg for around town driving. All I can say to look out for is a noisy gearbox and drive shaft on the 2.4, that's the reason I sold mine as the whine was too Loud for me, big shame as I loved everything else. It was not a fault that Honda would recognise, just louder than normal. Engine is very smooth, feels more like a 6 cylinder and torque let's you cruise around town in 6th from 25mph - something you can't do in the diesel despite its torque.

toffee_pie said:
people worry far too much about mpg, i get as much mpg on my lexus as Brett said on his 2.4
Yep. Total cost of ownership is what you should be looking for if anything. No point in getting good mpg but are out of warranty and replacing bits left right and centre.

That's the reason I ditched my 8th gen diesel, it gave me hardly any mpg gain and the large looming repair bills made me sell and run back to petrol. (Dpf at £1200 required) plus dmf,clutch,egr,turbo,injectors all a worry at the back of my mind!

Yeah its such a false economy, people are just brainwashed by diesel propaganda.

Its fine if you get one as a company car or can afford one new or still in warranty, but if you have to pay your own repair bills, forget it.

Plus the tractor noise and cancerous smoke, everyone knows your a tightwad also....lol

its the main reason i got a petrol lexus, goes like a dream and was a natural successor to my cl9

richsprint said:
Yeah its such a false economy, people are just brainwashed by diesel propaganda.
Its fine if you get one as a company car or can afford one new or still in warranty, but if you have to pay your own repair bills, forget it.
Plus the tractor noise and cancerous smoke, everyone knows your a tightwad also....lol
I see Eric has got an apprentice!

Like many others, the reason I've kept my diesel is the much nicer and relaxed power delivery... but must confess that I wouldn't have an 8th gen diesel because of the DPF. But neither would I have a 8th gen petrol, as those engines are getting very, very long in the tooth. The 2.4 in particular is definitely a throwback to an earlier time when power output came from larger engines rather than having a turbo.

Jon_G said:
I see Eric has got an apprentice!
They're like Sith Lords. They come in pairs! :lol:

I stress as well in the paint check the car over

I looked for years, dealer phoned said we've just got a type s in come and have a look

View at night or dusk when I got there, didn't check car over as I normally do due to time on that day, trusting dealer, mad at work, ended up with loads of daft problems including paint.

Roof has been redone by dealer when windscreen replaced, rear spats wrong colour, painted badly by dealer, rear bumper doesn't match and side had been keyed when I asked previous owner. Going to get these fixed when have time but bug me when looking at the car