What's new

2.4 buying tip.

:lol: Good comeback Jon

I'll make no bones about it. My car is now an old design. I just love it and if anyone comes on here saying they're thinking of getting one, I'll support and encourage that. Simple as. I'm not going to get involved in some technical or fuel debate. I'll just say it's thirsty yes, but it's got character and make for a lovely drive. If you don't mind an older car that balances power and comfort very nicely, then seriously consider a 2.4 Accord. They Rock! (in a comfy, granddad kind of way ;) )

I'll add that although the 2.4 is old engine it is still one of the most reliable units I've ever known giving an amazing mixture of silky smooth low speed driving or sporty high rpm fun depending on mood. I also don't know of many n/a 200bhp engines that return 32mpg, Ignore the published figures, in real world driving it betters them :) You also cannot beat the response and power delivery of a decent n/a large displacement engine.

k24 is indeed a marvellous engine, as for the 200hp claim, my lexus get that and its over 200hp. I am impressed with the mpg return on the car tbh.

Right...

After waiting for a good tourer in petrol and EX trim for a while without much success, I thought I would give the saloon another try. So I found a 2.4 saloon in the right price bracket and went to view it, loaded it with the baby prams and add on, and the boot is actually big enough for everything that I am likely to carry. Which I have to say surprised me a little bit.

So, I am in the negotiation stage with a very very nice 58 reg 2.4 with the tuning fork alloys and body coloured grill, its from a Honda franchise but a little high in the miles (81k) and a tow bar fitted.

Also a bit of damage to the driver's door where it has become misaligned and dented from some sort of a Non-impact event, which I have in writing that it will be fixed and everything else made good. The car drives well and engine is very strong, although the clutch feels a little stiff.

So, I guess I am asking for a bit of a feedback on the above, anyone have thoughts on the tow bar situation? Anything dodge about a 2.4 being a tow car?

Appreciate any pointers on 2.4 saloons and anything else to check.

Thanks in advance.

get a good stretch of road and give it loads through all the gears, should be rock solid with no shakes, (tip courtesy of our resident vibration guru Brian..:p)

other than that I had a 2.4 myself and could not find any faults with it. Really good car by all accounts.

In the market for an early 8th gen 2.4 auto EX saloon myself. Only looking at the 08-09 plates as a fair few of these don't have the sunroof as standard. Seems a pretty rare car with this engine option though. Would take a 2.0 or a diesel if the price was right as to be honest, theres not a massive performance difference between any of these engines is there. Looked at a 2 litre auto earlier. Mechanically very sound but exterior full of deep scratches and interior looked like a dog had been let loose in there. Very shabby cosmetically for a low mileage car.

Must admit nothing quite puts me off more than anything than a tow bar being present! To be honest modern engines can probably cope with reasonably regular towing no problem but it just sows that seed of doubt.

Just saw the one you are referring to. Looks lovely in that colour. Manual not for me though.

t sport 1978 said:
The first thing I checked was the sun roof and that all the gears were sound when I gave it some boot, that's all fine.

In 2008 I had a tow-bar fitted to my 7th gen 2.4 (which I'd bought in 2006). I towed a caravan a few times in 2008 but not after then. The clutch started to feel bad some time afterwards, and it just got worse and worse until I finally had to have it done at the dealer I'd bought the car from. When they were working on it, I went to have a look, and the fingers were worn down.

So no, the clutch in the 2.4 isn't up to towing, and at 81k miles with a tow bar, it's going to need a new clutch, probably why the previous owner got rid of it. Clutch on these is a big job, to get the gearbox out the subframe has to come out, and to get the subframe out the exhaust has to come out.

The first thing I checked was the sun roof and that all the gears were sound when I gave it some boot, that's all fine.

I would avoid sunroofs and an auto box, a hitch as well is iffy as Brian said the clutch is not great.

good luck with the hunt.

Can anyone here comment on the picture below? It shows a crack running along the cv axle, is this something nasty and needs fixing?

20141104_141910.jpg

I agree, just the covering on the driveshaft.

Well after much deliberation and negotiations, I have myself a 58reg 2.4 EX and I am very happy with it so far.

There are still some outstanding work on it which the dealer hadnt completed, he promises me that they will pick the car up and fix it some time soon.

I have to give credit to the dealer (Sytner Gatwick) as they dealt with me (a pretty demanding so and so ^_^ ) with professionalism and care, hopefully they will fix the outstanding things to my satisfaction. I do have all their promise on paper, so it should be fine.

I will put some pics up when i have time.

Thanks for all your advice!

Congratulations. A bit more decisive than my car hunt!

Nothing wrong with scrutinising things deeply at all though. Most of us work hard for our money and can't just come up with the sort of sums that a decent car command's with the click of a finger.

How does it drive?

The car drives very well, as mentioned before these engines pulls strongly and smoothly. In gear acceleration is very good and off the line is rapid, running on 18" rims makes the car feel planted and has good feel. Compared to what i can remember of my old 2.0 EX, this 2.4 is MUCH more usable in terms of torque and power delivery, I have always thought the 2.0 was somewhat breathless even with 156bhp.

I have had a hybrid for the last 2 years, its refreshing to have something with a bit of power :)

Its going back to the dealership (being picked up tomorrow) for the remaining work plus some more that i have found during my first week of ownership, one being a battery that is indicating it needs to be charged; despite giving it multiple long runs.

Another thing that i discovered is that this car is fitted with the blue accent lighting in the footwell and cubby holes, which was not advertised; I found later that this option costs £395!!!! :wacko:

Here are some pics.

Accord%20front.jpg

Accord%20back.jpg

It looks like you have the sports grill and boot lip spoiler too again which are also optional extras I'm sure. Very tidy car there mate

It looks like you have the sports grill and boot lip spoiler too again which are also optional extras I'm sure. Very tidy car there mate

Thanks P3T3,

Yeah they are optional extras, along with the skirts.

The car is going back for some more work next week because the near side rear passenger door light wouldn't switch off and drained the battery! Had to use Honda happiness on Sunday for a home start, which was very efficient. Also, the passenger door aint aligned properly!

There are a few gremlins in this particular car, I hope there won't be a nasty surprise somewhere down the line for me! But otherwise, im loving this car.