What's new

2.4 Ex Engine Economy

Jefferson

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.4 Ex
Good morning,
While training for and since passing my PCV, I've been driving much more conservatively and as usual, travelling at 60mph on motorways, just slow enough for National Express coaches to overtake me. I am still only managing a maximum of 450 miles per tank of V-Power. From 1st, I change to 2nd at around 2,500rpm to get it going and then change up to the rest of the gears once 2,000rpm has been reached. Slowing down in gear, I change down when 1,500rpm is reached too, depending on gradient.
Since I have solely driven diesels this tends to be my driving style and I don't seem to be labouring the clutch (which has had a screaming release bearing since purchase).
My main question is economy while travelling downhill. In most diesels I know of, no fuel is used while in gear and no acceleration being applied. Is this the same as the 2.4? Or is it more economical to coast? I hardly ever coast anyway but if I do, I rev-match before lifting the clutch so as not to jerk the car.
Thanks for any tips!

I did exactly what you described for about 6 months or so once and managed a couple of tanks of 450 on VPower and/or Sainsbury's Super Unleaded. But I think the general consensus is that 450 is brilliant for the 2.4, and you can't really expect more from it. That said, if you believe there's more to be found in there, go for it. You could be setting a forum record! From what I've read, if the car's in gear but no accelerator is applied, no petrol is injected, but what I read could be wrong, or I could have misinterpreted it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and better inform you.

Crikey 450 miles from a 2.4
That is incredible.

Just managed 611.4 miles from my diesel with 57 miles remaining. I dont usually run it this low as fuel filter in the diesels are very sensitive.
Pretty normal driving and lots of start stop traffic on the m25 - lol.

Andyjdmteg said:
Oh Lordy! Sure that's miles and not centimetres ?
Haha!

450 from the 2.4 is fully doable. I've done it on a couple of occasions and it included A roads and a bit of town driving. You've just got to be so unbelievably light footed and not spend any time in traffic jams. I reached 400 on a tank about 2 months ago, but haven't hit 450 for some time. The driving conditions in East Sussex aren't suited to it (no motorways at all and only 15 miles of duel carriageway). And with the price of petrol falling, I've been enjoying the performance perks of the 2.4 a little more ;) .

I think I've managed near 400 when I did a run down to Cornwall from South East London (that includes a bit of driving around once I got down there), the run down was at about 4am in the morning so I was enjoying the lack of traffic, with a lighter right foot and more cruise control I reckon I could of squeezed a bit more out.

In normal town driving it's not much worse than my old 1.8 Manual 6th Gen Accord as the engine has enough to happily trundle round without putting any effort into it.

I regularly get 400 miles from a tankful with my 2.4 Auto. I'm a bit sad in that I have been recording fuel consumption for years with all of my Accords.
This 2.4 has a better fuel economy than my 6th gen 2.0 Auto on like for like driving conditions.

dont get people complaining about this, 450 miles is great going, I would be delighted to get anything near that on my legacy.

What oil are you all using gents? I've always found the choice of oil makes a good difference. Particularly if you've been using a semi synthetic and then change to a fully. That will get you more mpg for sure. I know the diesel accord has to run on a fully synthetic but i've no idea what you're sticking in your 2.4's.

420 miles has been my average for a while now during my commuting, but the fuel light came on at 390 yesterday since I have been doing spirited driving after chucking a whole bottle of Redex down the tank (and brimmed it with V-Power as per usual). Yes, 450 miles seems to be a very good statistic for the 2.4 and the oil I use is Mobil1 0W-40. It's expensive but it has noticeably had an effect on smoothness and performance after I changed the oil.

Managed about 420ish once in my 2.4 manual. This was after changing to millers nanodrive cfs 10/40 from God only knows what (it was the only oil change needed in my ownership of about 3500 miles)