What's new

2.4 or 2.0 S?

eddypolak

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 Type S 2.0
Hi! I'm keeping my eyes open for a good 7th Gen Type S. I had thought 2.0L but I have seen a couple of nice 2.4s that I've resisted because of fears of fuel consumption. I do a lot of miles a year (nearly 30K) and although I've come to terms with the cost running my 2.0L SE I'm not sure I want to pay yet more. What experience can you guys share with me on mileage achieved with 2.4s? My miles are mainly cruising on dual carriageways not city stuff.

In general what do you think of 2.4 v 2.0?

Thanks!

Is the Diesel completely out ?

I know for some it is hard to cross over, but with that sort of mileage it should save you some money especially cruising and dual carriageway.

If you get it re-mapped it will be even better.

I remember when I first looked at the Accord and I was after the 2.4 the guy at the dealership said have you not tried the diesel, in a sort of wonderment way.

Hopefully some guys with the 2.4 are going to give you some mileage rates and obviously it depends on how heavy your foot is etc, but I do think it would be good to at least try the diesel

Good luck

with that kind of mileage i would deff go for a diesel with a remap from fahad

I guess I ought to give diesel a go. I'm reluctant because the VTEC experience is a big part of the Honda appeal to me. Any comments on diesel reliability? I get the impression they are not as bullet proof as the petrol engines.

Eddy, with that sort of mileage, you must really love Vtec to be driving a petrol!

The ICTDI is quite a rewarding drive actually, especially after a remap and the power delivery is fun in a different way. In terms of reliability, as long you give it regular oil changes, there isn't much to go wrong.

The most common problems are covered by Honda under extended warranty anyway, and clutches are subsidised by Honda at £585 fully inc.

To be completely honest ( Im a fully paid up petrol head ) the 2.4 cannot justify its thirst, i have found it to be thoroughly disappointing in the power stakes, this may be down to mine being an auto but I have never cracked 300 miles to a tank. ;) Its figures on paper are so far away from real world driving. I would acctually look at the diesel.

Just noticed your car list Andy ;) you must be loaded!

nah just heavily in debt ;) to the petrol station.

It made me chuckle though, a man who drives a V8 Muscle Car and a 2.8 6 cylinder roadster.. finds the Accord heavy on juice!!

Speaks volumes to me ;)

To be honest all of our cars have the same range which i find strange

I get about 350 miles to a tank doing motorways and dual carriageways in a 2.4 S-Type. I don't rag it very often though. Just occasionally to hear the v-tec scream!

Last week 400 miles only motorway. Its ain't to bad for me roughly same mpg as my mate Nissan premiera 1.8

Hi Andy
My 2.4 is a manual, 85% motorway (between watford and Heathrow), 10k a year and I average between 31 and 34mpg.

Must be an auto thing then

Mate what mileage are you getting in your current ride. The 2.4, carefully driven, can get between 35-37mpg provided its a manual i regularly managed 450miles to a tank. Granted it will never be a deisel in terms of mpg but the vtec is always in reserve beyond 6000rpm for a bit of fun now and again. Having had a ride in a remapped deisel i can say they can be quite rapid and with the mileage that you intend to do diesel would seem like the sensible choice.

I get between 28 and 33 MPG per week. This is based on driving during peak hours to work and back, a fair amount of stop/start and the aircon rarely being on. I went to Cardiff a few weeks back and was impressed with the mileage, if I hadn't used the last bit of the tank to get to work I'd of got to 40+.

I really love the 2.4, it's fairly difficult to justify - I'm sure the 2.0 is just as good, but I figured that you only live once so went for it (plus I wanted the sat nav/ auto etc).

Andy, scary as it seems but the Holden Monaro is my dream car and has been since I lived out in OZ a few years back! I'm hopnig to get one next.

Slap me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the type-S only come in 2.4? You can get exec and SE variants of the 2.0, but never seen type-S.

If you want a good 2.0l 7th gen, I know a great one for sale, lol :angry:

I get between 28 and 33 MPG per week. This is based on driving during peak hours to work and back, a fair amount of stop/start and the aircon rarely being on. I went to Cardiff a few weeks back and was impressed with the mileage, if I hadn't used the last bit of the tank to get to work I'd of got to 40+.

I really love the 2.4, it's fairly difficult to justify - I'm sure the 2.0 is just as good, but I figured that you only live once so went for it (plus I wanted the sat nav/ auto etc).

Andy, scary as it seems but the Holden Monaro is my dream car and has been since I lived out in OZ a few years back! I'm hopnig to get one next.

Rob the VXR is the HSV version, I would put some pics up but I think everyone on here has seen it enough times :angry:

Slap me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the type-S only come in 2.4? You can get exec and SE variants of the 2.0, but never seen type-S.

If you want a good 2.0l 7th gen, I know a great one for sale, lol ;)
Slap :)
After facelift they made 2.0 with bodykit and named that type-s

A bit late to reply, but thought I'd through in my opinion....

My 04 Type-S Manual tourer has regularly got 340miles out of a tank. That said, I call a "tank" when the light comes on, so there is probably quite a few more miles in it, just panic sets in!

I drive a lot of A-Roads from client to client, with the A3 acting as the main backbone of my journey. I can't say I'm a steady driver, slightly heavy right-footed would be more to the truth, but even on a long motorway run, I still only get maybe 360miles if I'm steady.

That all said, and with the price of petrol continually rising, I still wouldn't change it for a smaller engine. Its extremely smooth, not overly powerful, but satisfying to know its there if you need it. I think in todays world of cars its a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing.....

What did you decide upon?

Slap :D
After facelift they made 2.0 with bodykit and named that type-s
BLAH not the same Type S is just that 2.4 Long live the type S :unsure: