What's new

2.4 rumbling noise from under carriage and poor acceleration

Yasmin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Red Accord 2.4EX
Hi guys,

As you know I recently bought a 2.4 ex and I have been having a couple of problems with it:

1) rumbling from underneath the car you can hear it at all speeds but most noticeable 40mph upwards. Initial thoughts were driveshafts but no real vibrations, and no clicking or thumping noises on full steering lock?
2) the car is not pulling as strongly as it should, very pedestrian in 6th with almost a lag.
3) there is a strange creaking noise that comes, I think, from the brake pedal. Oddly it does not come when you depress or release the pedal - it comes after 20 seconds after having released the pedal when accelerating and it's sounds like a creaking door opening slowly!!

I have booked the car in with Honda fish brothers Swindon, because I am in the midst of moving up there, but the earliest they can see it is Friday next week. So really need your help in the meantime guys!

Worn wheel bearings can rumble, might be that, but the garage will diagnose it.

6th is very weak, you have to change down to get decent pulling power.

I get that noise as well, no idea what it is.

Yasmin said:
Hi guys,
As you know I recently bought a 2.4 ex and I have been having a couple of problems with it:
1) rumbling from underneath the car you can hear it at all speeds but most noticeable 40mph upwards. Initial thoughts were driveshafts but no real vibrations, and no clicking or thumping noises on full steering lock?
2) the car is not pulling as strongly as it should, very pedestrian in 6th with almost a lag.
3) there is a strange creaking noise that comes, I think, from the brake pedal. Oddly it does not come when you depress or release the pedal - it comes after 20 seconds after having released the pedal when accelerating and it's sounds like a creaking door opening slowly!!
I have booked the car in with Honda fish brothers Swindon, because I am in the midst of moving up there, but the earliest they can see it is Friday next week. So really need your help in the meantime guys!
I've got this issue now! What did Honda say?

Although all these things might not be related there is one possible cause that might be consistent here and that is binding brakes.

you need your 2.4 looked at if you think its gutless compared to a 2.0. no comparrison between these