What's new

2.4 - Surely I must be insane!

ashyk36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Celica
I currently own a 2004 celica VVTLI which gives me about 27mpg

I am facing the prospect of changing my car as I need 4 doors! So I thought after years of having decent petrol cars (EP3 CTR, MR2 turbo, 350z) I will take the hit and by a diesel for my next car. My choice was a 7th gen accord, so I thought I had made my mind up. 7th gen accord diesel it is!

Spent many hours over the last few weeks reading over threads on this forum. I am now thinking 2.4 type s accord! Am I insane!??????

I got to this by first making my mind up on the 7th gen diesel, I then came on here to do some research (as I always do before buying a car), I then decided to go with the diesel I would get a remap at some point. So far so good!

I then started reading up on certain issues which tend to happen on a diesel, slowly slowly the 2.0 type s seed had been planted in my brain!

I then started reading up on the 2.0 type s, it seems like the general consensus is that there is not much difference between the 2.0 vs 2.4 and the 5 vs 6 gears. So the 2.4 type s seed had been planted (I just love the twin tail pipes!).

Am now thinking to myself am I mad!!!??? I wanted a diesel for better economy. I drive 20 miles (10 miles each way) a day through the city and it takes me roughly between 35-45 mins to do this commute, in terms of economy is going diesel going to save me any money? I do occasional motorway trips (once a month).

Am I kidding myself in thinking I could go for a 2.4 petrol and it will cost me similar to a 2.2 diesel in terms of running during the course of the year(taking into account servicing/ fuel/ tax etc)?

Lastly, for a decent 2.4 type s, what kind of ballpark figure am I looking at paying? I know there are lots of things to take into consideration, but <5k, > 5k would be a good start

Thank you for your answers

Hey Ash, no you're not insane. Realistically spending lot of time crawling in traffic, but only doing 20 miles a day. You're getting bad economy whatever you drive!

If you look at slightly older 2.4s with nearly 100K on the clock, you'll probably be able to pick something up for around £3K, then spend £2K lowering it and remapping the ECU. Then you'll never question having bought it! ;)

Known/common faults on the 2.4 is vibration of steering wheel caused by warped drive shafts, best to replace both at once. Knocking from warn anti-roll bar bushes and/or drop links (cheap and easy fix), the clutches aren't the strongest, but so much of that is down to how the previous owner drove. Check oil too! They tend to want 1 litre every 1500-2000 miles. Sounds a lot, but it's fully synthetic, and happily within the handbook guidelines. Just check there's a healthy amount of oil on the dip stick.

Maybe consider getting a little buzz box for your commute with stop start tech, VW Up, Seat Mii, Skoda Citigo, Aygo, 107 etc. No road tax, low emissions etc. Most can be leased for £99 a month.

Then keep your proper car with a 2.4 for the weekend....

Had my 2.4 type s nearly 9 yrs now...I do an 18 mile commute and it is ad lovely car to drive. You wouldn't be disappointed.

I bought the 2.0 litre facelift, it is a very nice car to drive, but I should have gone for the 2.4, I was surprised by the good economy I was getting from the 2 litre, around tow I get about 28mpg, on motorway I can easily get over 40mpg... And I don't think the 2.4 is much different, go for the 2.4!

I'm being persuaded! Did the artic blue only come on the euro r? Or can you get then in the 2.4 as well?

2.4 every which way!! Manual 2.4 Type S will do it for you, as Steve says! By the way Steve, the dipstick is a bugger to get out and doesn't show a proper level! Maybe just mine! Pain!

Jon

ashyk36 said:
I currently own a 2004 celica VVTLI which gives me about 27mpg

I am facing the prospect of changing my car as I need 4 doors! So I thought after years of having decent petrol cars (EP3 CTR, MR2 turbo, 350z) I will take the hit and by a diesel for my next car. My choice was a 7th gen accord, so I thought I had made my mind up. 7th gen accord diesel it is!

Spent many hours over the last few weeks reading over threads on this forum. I am now thinking 2.4 type s accord! Am I insane!??????

I got to this by first making my mind up on the 7th gen diesel, I then came on here to do some research (as I always do before buying a car), I then decided to go with the diesel I would get a remap at some point. So far so good!

I then started reading up on certain issues which tend to happen on a diesel, slowly slowly the 2.0 type s seed had been planted in my brain!

I then started reading up on the 2.0 type s, it seems like the general consensus is that there is not much difference between the 2.0 vs 2.4 and the 5 vs 6 gears. So the 2.4 type s seed had been planted (I just love the twin tail pipes!).

Am now thinking to myself am I mad!!!??? I wanted a diesel for better economy. I drive 20 miles (10 miles each way) a day through the city and it takes me roughly between 35-45 mins to do this commute, in terms of economy is going diesel going to save me any money? I do occasional motorway trips (once a month).

Am I kidding myself in thinking I could go for a 2.4 petrol and it will cost me similar to a 2.2 diesel in terms of running during the course of the year(taking into account servicing/ fuel/ tax etc)?

Lastly, for a decent 2.4 type s, what kind of ballpark figure am I looking at paying? I know there are lots of things to take into consideration, but <5k, > 5k would be a good start

Thank you for your answers

Hello Ash, If you are still thinking of purchasing a 2.2icdti I have mine for sale. It has a stage 1 remap (from premier tuning) and a clutch from CG motorsport. It is the exec model as well.

I recently purchased a 2.0 Auto tourer and am amazed if I'm honest.

Getting amazing consumption (roughly 50mpg if my maths is correct. From full to low (no light on yet) with 445.7. But that was 75% motorway with the usual hold ups on the M25 by Gatwick and Heathrow.

I've not once thought to myself 'wish I had more power'.

All I'll say is try and get a facelift. My only bug bare with my car is I don't have a computer giving mpg and range.

And go for the exec :) I payed £1800. 105,000 miles, full service history, one owner from new and the exec trim.

The 2.0 on paper seems a little under powered. Personally I would like something with a little oomph. Euro r comes to mind but they are priced silly and there are no toys in them

I think the 2.0 will pleasantly surprise you. Test drive one. I hear good things.